Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a GPO in 2008 for services in 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniffer2112

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2009
US
I am trying to create a GPO in 2008 to disable certain System Services on 2003 boxes. However, certain services like 'Alerter' are not found in 2008 Group Policy Management Editor.

I know the new 2008 uses admx file format and 2003 is the adm format. If I go into gpedit on the 2003 box I can only export the settings to a .txt or .csv file format.

Any ideas on how this can be accomplished?

Thanks!

-Todd-
CCNA
MCTS: Sever 2008 AD Configuration
CompTIA: A+, Security+

**Mathmatics affect 7 out 5 people each day**

With 2003 missing templates are automatically copied when you manage the policies on a client machine with gpmc. Eg if you are missing templates for xp sp3 on your 2003 box you can install the group policy management console on the xp client and the group policy templates will update themselves. Don't know if it works the same for 2008 but may be worth trying to manage the policies from a 2003 box?

I finally figured it out:

1. On the 2008 server, create a new GPO and name it accordingly. You do not need to edit this.
2. On the 2003 server, open a MMC console
3. Add Snap-in: Group Policy Object Editor
4. Under "Gropu Policy Object" you will see "Local Computer", click on the Browse button, then the ALL tab.
5. Look in: should have your domain listed
6. In the box below, you should see all of your GPOs listed.
7. Select the newly created GPO and click OK, then Finish.
8. Now you should be able to edit the GPO on your 2003 server and will update the actual GPO on the 2008 box.

-Todd-
CCNA
MCTS: Sever 2008 AD Configuration
CompTIA: A+, Security+

**There are 10 types of people. Those that understand binary, and those that don't**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back