Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a Barcode to simulate ALT V ( or any ALLt combination)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiggyS1

Programmer
Oct 6, 2008
CA
I’ve searched high and low and I just can’t find an example that works or describes it to me in a way that I can make it work.

I have Symbol LS2208 scanners, I have scanned the barcode to enable Full Ascii

In my program I have a button for VALIDATE, it has an ALT shortcut of ALT V that does the same thing as clicking it.

At the moment for simplicity I am using Excel 3 of 9 Barcode font, so what string would I enter for the barcode value? To make this scan able and simulate the ALT V

Example I found this somewhere…

$C signifies ALT
$D signifies the End of the scan
And V is the value

$CV$D

So in Excel I made this formula…

In cell A1

="$CV$D"

Font in A2…

="*"&A1&"*"

Thanks for any help.

Ziggy

Kuehne + Nagel's Email Disclaimer

I cannot tell you specifically for the Symbol LS2208. For that I would recommend that you contact the vendor directly.

But in general you can do a Google search for: alt key barcode and you will find the answers for a number of specific products.

Since the capabilities of scanners vary largely from manufacturer-to-manufacturer and even from model-to-model, I would not count on ALL bar code scanners to be able to support this, so again, I'd recommend that you contact your specific scanner's vendor.

One vendor that has carried the Symbol LS2208 is IDAutomation ( ) and in the past I have had good luck getting their support on products that they carry. In fact among the Google search recommended above I even find one from their site that might be of help to you:
Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Thanks, I tried the Google thing. I can try to contact the supplier.

Code 3 of 9 only has 43 characters available and none of them are alt or ctrl characters.

Generally speaking barcodes are data driven not control driven characters. If you want to have special characters to do special thing then you will have to write a program to use the character strings you want to use.

Do not assume a barcode font has all the ASCII characters. The ASCII character set is not what runs a PC but the page 437 character set runs MS DOS and UNICODE is used in Windows.

Bill

Bill has brought up a good point....

There are 2 aspects to consider:
1. What the barcode reader/scanner can do
2. What you can produce/print for the reader/scanner to 'read'

True the 'standard' Code 3 of 9 does not support the FULL ASCII character set.
But the bar code symbologies: Code3of9 Extended, Code93 and Code128A can encode all ASCII characters including the Control characters.

That means that if you were to print/produce barcodes to be read by your reader/scanner with one of the barcode symbologies that DID support the Control characters, your reader device would need to also support that as well - and not all manufacter's models do that.

You might want to look at:
Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back