Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRC errors constantly on my new 160 gb harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

nTT911

Instructor
Jan 30, 2005
SE
I get CRC errors constantly on my new 160 gb harddrive, and when i can get a file over to it it will in most cases freeze or crash when i try to use it, cant read drive and so on.

Tried to format it with no luck. Any ideas? Heard of lowlevel format but i dont know what it is nor how it works...

Any tips or clues?

It would help us all if we had more specs on the system involved.

Assuming this is an IDE interface drive, try a new IDE cable (80-pin conductor). If this doesn't work, try reducing the DMA mode to see if data transfers improve.

What OS are you running? XP requires SP1a or later to access anything larger than 137G, and 2K requires SP3 or later.

OR, (and I had this very same thing happen on a new computer I had JUST built) have your memory tested, or replace all of your memory with new sticks.

(It is not a low-level thing, BTW. In case it come up again, most manufacturers provide low-leveling software from their websites. I very strongly recommend AGAINST this path... You could end up with a 100 dollar boat anchor. I've seen it happen.)

e-mail me at ddraper at igalaxy dot net

Seems to have been a faulty drive all along, sent it back to maxtor... I used their diagnostic tools ( if anybodyelse got the same error... Thanks for the help ppl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back