Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRC Error when reading from CD-R

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgicash

Technical User
Apr 10, 2002
US
Hey guys,

I was going through some of my cd's and I was trying to load a game on my computer that I hadn't played in a while. I had burned a copy of it from the original, and the copy used to work fine, however now when I try to copy the files over to the hard drive it stops almost 3/4 of the way through the transfer process and gives me either an I/O error or a CRC error.

I am running Windows XP Professional, with a P4 2.0Ghz, 512 Mb ram, 32x cd rom drive, etc. I went through many of my cd's and it has happened to several others as well. Is there any kind of utility that can help me retrieve these files, or anything I can do in the future when I burn these files to guarentee I don't lose the information on the cd's.

I am using standard 700 Mb Blank CD-R's.

Thanks for all the help you can give me,

If you need any more info, just ask...

Thanks again,

mgicash

Hello.

i got a similar problem with using Linux-formatted Zip disks in Windows 2000. The computer would either tell me the disk was an "unrecognised file system" or it would get a CRC error.

i'm a little hazy but as far as i can remember, CRC stands for Cyclic Redundancy Check, which is what Windows does to check the input medium for errors/scratches etc...

Have you tried reading the CD on another computer? [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back