Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRC alignment errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

muclee

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
GB
I have just installed HP toptools 5.52 on our network to snif for problems, the only thing it comes back with is CRC alignment errors.
Assuming the cables are all OK CAT5 etc. I think it my be to do with Full and Half Duplex settings on the end nodes.
I don't really understand this part but assume that both the switch and the end nodes have to be set up the same.
we use 3com cards that are auto confirgured so I thought this would sort its self out.

Can anyone shed any light on this please..

Muclee, the speed/duplex have to be the same on both the switch port and the NIC. Usually setting both to auto works fine. However this is not always the case. I have several Compaq servers that don't auto negotiate very well with my HP switches. If that's your case, you will have to hard code the speed and duplex on both the switch and the NIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back