Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crazy Looping Procedures and ADODB Query Recordset but with no Loop?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I built the below as a tool to automate some data entry for multiple workbooks at work that references the same centralized .xla file for some custom functions, etc.

The code worked perfectly when I initially build the range checking and initial value checks into the worksheet object, but once I moved it to a module, it's gone rather crazy. I could simply move it back to the worksheet objects, but I was hoping to keep it centralized, so I wouldn't have so much duplication of code.

The highlighted line in the bottom procedure for some reason causes the code to loop back to the second function (also highlighted) rather than just look to the recordset object created within the current procedure. Can anyone point out what I"m missing? What did I break? Thanks for any thoughts.

[CODE VBA]
[BOLD][GREEN]‘WITHIN THE CURRENTLY OPENED WORKBOOK:[/GREEN][/BOLD]
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Application.Intersect(Range(Target.Address), ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("WorkingList")) Is Nothing Then
Else
BarCodeQuery Target
End If
End Sub

[BOLD][GREEN]‘NEXT 2 PROCEDURES IN A MODULE OF .XLA FILE[/GREEN][/BOLD]
[highlight #FCE94F]Sub BarCodeQuery(Target As Range)[/highlight]
If Target.Value Like "####*[-]##[ ][a-z]" Or _
Target.Value Like "####*[-]##" Or _
Target.Value Like "####*[-]##[ ][A-Z]" Then
[GREEN] ' # = Number
' * = Wildcard[/GREEN]
ConnectSqlServer Target [GREEN]' Call code to grab values from SQL Server[/GREEN]
Else
End If
End Sub

Sub ConnectSqlServer(InputRange As Range)
Dim conn As Object [GREEN]' Late Binding[/GREEN]
Dim rs As Object [GREEN]'Late Binding[/GREEN]
Dim sConnString As String
Dim strSQL As String

sConnString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=SERVER;" & _
"Initial Catalog=DATABASE;" & _
"User Id=SqlUserID;" & _
"Password=SqlUserPassword;"
'"Integrated Security=SSPI;"

Set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") [GREEN]' Late Binding[/GREEN]
Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") [GREEN]' Late Binding[/GREEN]

conn.Open sConnString

[GREEN] ' Added "TOP 1" for certain circumstances[/GREEN]
strSQL = "SELECT TOP 1 Field1, Field2, Field3”
strSQL = strSQL & "FROM Database.dbo.Tablec WITH (NOLOCK)"
strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE MyConditions”

Set rs = conn.Execute(strSQL)

If Not rs.EOF Then
[highlight #FCE94F] InputRange = rs.Fields("Field1")[/highlight]
InputRange.Offset(, 1) = rs.Fields("Field2")
InputRange.Offset(, 2) = rs.Fields("Field3")

[GREEN] ' Close the recordset[/GREEN]
rs.Close
Else
Msgbox "Error: No records returned.", vbCritical
End If

[GREEN] ' Clean up[/GREEN]
If CBool(conn.State And adStateOpen) Then conn.Close
Set conn = Nothing
Set rs = Nothing

End Sub
[/CODE]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Hi Steve,

When you assign a value to InputRange, that changes Target in the BarCodeQuery function call, up thru the Change Event, thus causing it to fire again and so on...

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

OK, so if I set InputRange separately, then perhaps that'll solve it! I'll try that change. It doesn't have to come from the query, since it is what is used to build the initial query anyway.

Thanks a ton! I'll post back with end results.

(And yes, I should have realized that, but just looked at it too long) [blush]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Man! Can't believe I didn't catch that! I just basically quit trying to update that field, and all is well! Thanks a ton, Skip!

Instead of using Target as the argument, assign the Target.Value to a variable and pass the variable.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

That could work as well, but in this instance, I already technically have the value there anyway, so it worked best to just leave it alone at that point. Also, a lot of the code pushes the Target rather than Target.Value variable around, b/c there are instances where it checks other Range properties. In this example, I use the range value to determine the other cells to update from the query by using the Range.Offset argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back