Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crazy desktop icons! Anyone help? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molenski

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2002
DE
Hi there,

Strange thing happened today. Logged onto one of our servers (Win 2k standard) and 4 out of the 6 desktop icons were black, blob sort of things!) Very weird.

Did a bit of checking around and apparently it could be something to do with the ShellIconCache? Can anyone confirm this or if anyone has anymore ideas please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Molenski
As my bessie bud Kev always says - Get involved!!!

Nothing, rebooted into safe mode, then normally and the same problem!

Molenski

Download a copy of TweakUI from Microsoft.com. There is a Rebuild Icons option in there that should fix this for you.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Hi there, thanks for getting back and the advice.

Problem is, I'm not going to be able to install this on our server (it's all to do with security). Don't suppose u know another way do you????

Thanks a lot.

Molenski

That is the only option I know of. Why can't you install it, fix it and remove tweakUI?

Regards,

Mark

Try <F5> while the Desktop is active.

If that doesn't work, select each of the broken shortcuts, go to Properties, click "Change Icon" and select the right one.

Hi Mark, basically, if we installed it without putting it through stringent security tests it may (or may not) affect the server. The servers are built with all sorts of security tweaks. It could mean big trouble so that's why I'm loathe to do it. Thanks for your help though.

Seumas, thanks for getting back. Tried this to no avail.

Am gonna do some more searching on the web, do either of you reckon it's worth deleting this ShellIconCache file and if so will it be rebuilt???

Cheers.

Molenski

TweakUI in itself should not represent a security risk. It is a tool for the most part that just edits the registry.

You might however want to rule out a hardware issue. Try throttling back your Video Accelleration. I had a system recently where the icons all had dots inthem and once I throttled that back the problem was solved.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for your help Mark, will give it a go.

Molenski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back