Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crashes in IE but not in AOL, can't get to web

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesgeorge

Programmer
Jan 13, 2001
US
I've just installed a dsl modem, which works while in aol but crashes when I go to the web. IE crashes if used without AOL also. The mouse freezes and though I can C-A-D out of IE the mouse remaing frozen until I reboot the whole system. I have reinstalled Win 98SE. There appear to be no IRQ conflicts. The dsl company says it's not thier problem as the modem connects (which it does). AOL is baffled. Any ideas? TIA
James

Have you played with the Connections Tab under Internet Options? Since IE freezes when you try starting it up, you can also get to Internet Options throught the Control Panel. I've got DSL, and right now my settings are: "Never Dial a Connection"; and under LAN settings I have "Automatically detect settings" If that doesn't work, try playing with that Internet Connections Wizard. I've never used it, but maybe it will help.

Joe

It sounds like a driver conflict....

AOL and DSL model installed a dial up adapter and tcp/ip adapters, check in Control Panel->Network-> make sure there is one dial up adapter for the DSL adapter and one TCP/IP adapter for the DSL adapter. Remove anything that says aol etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back