Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crash dump disable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

MIS
Nov 2, 1999
US
This is showing up the event detail: Disk Source

"Crash dump is disabled! NT failed to initalize the boot partition paging file for crashdump. This may be because the system has more than 3.8GB of physical memory."

What could casue this at bootup and surely I don't have 3.8GB or RAM.

thank in advance.

Check this TEchnet article out:
Cause:

ERROR: Event ID 43: Crash Dump Is Disabled (Q216491)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 4.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
After you apply Service Pack 4 for Windows NT 4.0, you may notice the following in the system event log.

Event ID 43

Description: Crash dump is disabled! NT failed to initialize the boot partition paging file for crash dump. This may be because the system has more than 3.8 gigabytes of physical memory.

CAUSE
This event is recorded when the page file on the system partition is set to a size smaller than the physical RAM in the computer.

Hope this helps/ Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

I think the 3.8 gigs of memory refers to NT's maximum virtual memory settings. It's a glitch that it gets mentioned in this error. The error is probably being generated due to recently increased RAM and too small a page file, but the details of the error are wrong. Maybe you added 256mb of RAM to the system and only have a 214mb pagefile or something. In any case, it's not an error to worry about, unless you are likely to use the crash-dump feature, which many admins disable.

ShackDaddy

Your guys are certainly correct once I reconfigured the virtual memory the error goes away and indeed I have recently increased the RAM from 128MB to 256MB.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back