Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Craft Level Password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGUY99

MIS
Jan 17, 2002
US
In one of my other threads, on of the suggestions was to try a command that I did not have access to. Someone suggested that I should have Avaya setup a craft user login that I can use. After several calls and transfers from Avaya, I allegedly got to the department that can add logins, but they said since I am not a service tech, or contractor, they would not do it. Does anyone have a phone number or area that I can contact to get a craft level password? There are several commands that I apparently need to use that I do not have access to. Thanks in advance.

Mmmm, don't think that they will do it.
Craft ID's are only used by Avaya Tech's because you are then able to activate options/features..... that normal users have to pay for.

What commands do you need ?? There are several ID-levels so maybe you are not on the one you need. Best is to have super-user with all options enabled.

Try to do a 'disp login xxx'(where xxx is your loginID).
If you are not on a super-user level, ask Avaya to change it. Normally they do that.

Success !!

Erik

Thanks for your fast response, When I was transferred to the password administration department have being transferred at least 20 times. Would anyone happen to have a direct number or e-mail that I can use to contact a department that can help me? Thanks again.

They really should be able to give you access to craft passwords. The init password will let you change the extra-cost options, but craft won't so there won't be any issues there. The craft password basically unlocks the "busyout", "release" and "test" commands.

One thing I've found with Avaya is how much info I get at what cost is all a question of symantics. If I call up and ask "How do I do this" it's gets very expensive. If I call up and ask "it is possible to do [whatever] on the revision of the switch I have" they've been very open with info to the point of telling me exactly what to do and it hasn't cost me a penny.

Try calling them up and asking why you can't busy out a trunk group, or ask them if it's possible. If you get a friendly tech (and that's one of the real inconsistencies with Avaya) he or she might be more inclined to point you in the right direction.

Either way, others in the newsgroup have had their craft passwords unlocked. I was happy as heck when I found my Audix still had the default craft password. Shame about the main PBX.

Pete

I just went through the same scenario. We had upgraded to an ECS System and they had not turned on access to the INADS port after the upgrade. I got that information and some options turned on from Catherine Beckley at Avaya. Her number is 615-377-2613. By the way, their latest thing to get money from you is to charge you $.60 per port per month to give you Admin privileges if you don't have a maintenence contract on the Definity switch. I discovered that Avaya had lost our contract and we have been getting free service for over a year (probably the only thing we ever got free from Avaya).

Gary

Hi,

Avaya really should be prepared to set *your* login to craft level. If you do a "change login x" - there is an option. Ask them to change your login to super-user. If you get no joy from Avaya, give me a shout as i may be able to help further.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Apart from the fact if they are willing(and they are probably not), it would not be any use if you have a new release.
Lately the Avaya ID's need a key challenge/response to log in.
What you probably want them to do is give you more access to features, on a existing account like the 'cust' ID.
In principle, they will give you access to anything, you have installed, but not to the area where you can switch on features, or features you did not pay for of course.
actually they can equip almost any login with any feature, exept for items they are specially meant for "Avaya tech's"

Rob

Hi,

ASG (Access Challenge Gateway) has actually been an option for quite a while - it's not specifically on new machines. Certainly a lot of switches are set to have the ASG challenge on the inads port but not many have when accessing by data-module/sat. Also, i see a lot of switches that have inads on ASG but not very many with craft.

With regards to assinging features to your login - you can only set one of several categories - dadmin, user and super-user. You will NOT get dadmin access, super-user gives you the ability to busy, release and test - which is what your looking for. It's simply a field on your login form and is really straight-forward - Avaya WILL give you super-user access if you request it.

Hope this helps,

Chris

I thought you needed craft logins to busy, release and test ?

All of my PBX logins are super-users, but none can do busyouts, etc.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Pete

Pete,
I had the same problem. I was unable to do busy out releases even with superuser. Avaya had to enable maintance permissions on our switch before it would work.

-Jay

I think this is just a big money maker for Avaya. Imagine if Avaya sold automobiles, they would sell you a key that would open the door, open the trunk, open the gas tank, even start the car, but they would put a lock on the hood and not allow you into the engine compartment.

For instance, we have been using a DS1 trunk for our DID lines this was set upas a tie line from the local provider. We go to switch over to a PRI line, and we have to first lease a DS1 card at $400 a month, then pay Avaya $3,000 to turn on the PRI isdn feature, we had BRI isdn, just not PRI. We get very little help from them when we call in, often its incorrect information as well. Its for reasons like this my company is starting to go away from Avaya and are now switching to Cisco VoIP solutions in many sites.

There is a form that you must fill out and fax in to Avaya to have a new login and password setup. If they won't do that for you you might have to call a business partner and have them do it for a fee. but once done, you will not have to bother with them for along time.

Beware!
If you pay to have access turned on such as to busy out a trunk, make sure you disconnect your INADS line and change the number before cancelling your maintenance with Avaya.
When we cancelled our service, they removed the additional access.

There has been a quite long thought given to the levels of logins and ther permissions associated to it. Have this one.

Systems R6 and below were available.

Login :- init ( only with avaya to do the RTU,S )
Login :- inads ( Super- user login that gives the highest permission on administrating the Definity - Customer)
Login :- craft ( User level login - Customer)

Systems from R7 and above there are available
Login :- init ( only with Avaya )
Login :- dadmin ( equivalent to inads level - Customer )
Login :- craft ( same as above - Customer )

But the 'dadmin' login is be created by the Avaya people on a RTU basis and it is free, only needs to be crested.

Shridhar Navalgund

There seems to be some misunderstandings being circulating in this thread. Beginning from the start, there is no "craft" login for users. Users can, however, be given "craft level" permissions, such as busying out ports, and being allowed to run certain tests. Craft logins cannot turn on features, and in newer releases neither can init logins. ASG challenges are turned on principally for Avaya technicians and as customers wish. I don't know Avaya policies for turning on permissions, but I think they charge for them. As for the car analogy, I wouldn't consider Cisco a good example of the opposite end of the spectrum, nor any proprietary software company for that matter, no real slight to Cisco.

That is true that for R8 and above there is a challenge that is asked even for the craft login and controls the permission....... i presume this was basically done to have control on the licences -- RTU .. Shridhar Navalgund

The deafaults are as follows
login inads, password indspw
login craft, password crftpw
however they may have been changed.

Hello every one,

I'm working on Meridian systems from quiet a long now and recently got a chance to get hands on Avaya system.

I'm bit confuse now, over these different login modes. Will anybody explain me the number of default logins available in the system with their access levels and other than number of those which are created for the user/administrator working on site for the sake of day to day system maintenance and optimisation rather say sustenance.

Shridhar Navalgund [snavalgund (TechnicalUser)] above has explained it quiet well but still want to know in depth for system Rls 11 and all.

Thanx,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back