Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crackling noise and static on telephone extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

themegalord

Technical User
Mar 3, 2006
US
Hi!

Lately, I've been experiencing crackles and static on telephone conversations and my users are complaining bitterly. Is there a problem with the circuit packs?

Thanks.

Are your users who are experiencing this issue is using headset? Is this an analog, digital or IP?

No ... not on handsets. Still using a G3R, so no IP. But definitely on analog and digital ... mostly digital!

Have u tried checking on your cabling? Probably loose or something along the line, if its all ok, try checking the circuit pack (replace it for troubleshooting)

The biggest culprit for static and crackle is the handset cord. It's a very thin wire. So thin in fact, that it's wrapped around a piece of fiberglass to give it strength. It's easily broken and because the two ends can still touch each other it works, but the connection is terrible.

Most especially troublesome are those horrible twist-stops. (Those things that are supposed to keep your handset cord from getting twisted tightly.) I have a deep hatred of them. They just create static.

If you have any twist-stops in use, throw them away. They can't be fixed.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

Possibly a bad TDM Bus cable or TDM Bus Terminator. You will have to do some homework to isolate it to a Port Network and/or carrier.

Are there entries in either the alarm or error logs that might help?

Kevin

Try to match up the users phones to a circuit pack. See if you can narrow down the sets to one pack.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Thanks guys, for your responses so far

uzumaki and dufus2506,
These noises occur randomly and cannot be put to a particular extensions. They even occur on OPX lines.

However, thanks to 4merAvaya and mikeydidit, I checked my alarms to see these major alarms and errors. They are not permanent. They come on and clear without any intervention.

ALARMS
01E04 SNI-PEER n MAJOR n 01E02 SNI-PEER n MAJOR n
01E03 SNI-PEER n MAJOR n
01E SN-CONF n MINOR n
01E2001 SYS-LINK n INL MINOR n

ERRORS
01E SN-CONF 5000 6 09/07/18:25
29 ISDN-SGR 769 09/07/18:33
29 ISDN-SGR 1793 09/07/18:33
01E04 SNI-PEER 1025 254 09/09/15:44
01E02 SNI-PEER 1025 254 09/09/15:44
01E03 SNI-PEER 1025 254 09/09/15:44

What do these alarms anderrors mean, how bad are they and how can they be resolved? Are they connected with the cracking problems I'm having?

Thanks guys!

Attached is the link to the Avaya maintenance manual for G3rV11. The SNI alarms/errors have to do with the Center Stage Switch that uses fiber to connect all of the Port Networks.

Another possibility for your noise/static is a bad trunk circuit. Do 'list configuration ds1' and print a list of all of the circuits. Go through the list and do 'list measurements ds1 summary [slot]' and look for a circuit taking errors. You can clear the counters and start with a clean slate by doing 'clear measurements ds1 (log or esf) [slot].

Kevin

I used to get SNI-PEER alarms from my center-stage switch too. It occurred when there were errors on my T1 that connected the remote PN back to the center-stage cabinet.

If you're connecting your PNs with T1s, then you might want to check the T1s on the DS1 facility card.

The command is test ds1-facility <location>

Remember that there can be as many as 4 DS1s going into a DS1 facility card, so the location is more than port network-carrier-slot. It also ends in a, b, c, or d for the various DS1 spans.

In my case, the specific problem was caused by a mis-configured DS1. Part of the span was setup as ESF/B8ZS, and the rest was was D4/AMI.

Because an ESF/B8ZS circuit introduces bi-polar violations as it's signalling, it would alarm periodically. The PBX can tolerate a FEW alarms, but when traffic got heavy so did the bi-polar violations. Those errors caused lousy audio and, eventually, the PBX would drop and restart the circuit.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

We had a static issue on our PBX a few years back. after doing all the normal troubleshooting techniques, I found someone had plugged in an extension cord and left it hanging across some of the T-1 lines. All this was hidden under the floor so not easy to spot. Unplugged the cord, static went away & all has been good. probably not your issue but maybe you will get an idea from it. Another thing we did was ground the cabinets. NO more static - Knock on wood!

A major cause of this type of static is electrical white noise. Replace the UTP RJ45 cables going to your DS1 cards, with decent quality Low length (if possible) STP RJ45 cables. I had horrendous issues until I done this, because the power cables under the floor ran along the same path as the DS1 cables.

[Started on Version 3 software 15 years a go]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back