Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR9 Merge Modules with VB 6 (NOT .NET)? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdHoc

MIS
Feb 9, 2001
US
We have a VB 6 desktop application using RDC and the crviewer from CR version 8.0, which I want to replace with components from CR version 9.0 so the users can export their reports as .pdf files. (We upgraded from 8.0 to 9.0 so I never had a chance to try 8.5).

I modified and compiled the project on a computer with CR version 9 developer edition and it works fine on that computer. However when I use InstallShield Express 3.5 to make a setup package and install the application on a computer that does not have CR version 9, the reports cannot export to .pdf.

According to Install Shield I need the CR9 merge modules from Crystal. But according to the Crystal web site, these modules are only for use with VS.net. One of the steps in using the CR9 merge modules requires modifying a file called "regwiz.msm" which is included with VS.net and I cannot find it anywhere else. Does anyone know how to integrate the CR9 viewer in a VB6 project without upgrading to .net?

Yes, thanks, I had already downloaded that file but to make sure I have the latest copy I downloaded it again today.

The only instructions I can find for using these modules(cr9rdcmergemodules.zip) is article Q106852 at the Install Shield Knowledge Base. Did you follow these instructions? They say I need to use "the Seagate Registration Wizard Merge Module (also known as 'regwiz.msm')". This file doesn't exist on my computer and I can't find it at Crystal's support site either. The instructions also say that Visual Basic 6 users need to contact Crystal Decisions for details on how to aquire regwiz.msm. Did you have to use up one of your technical support calls at Crystal just to get this file? Or do you have Visual Studio .NET, which includes this file?

I'm using Visual Basic 6 with Crystal 9.0 Developer.

I believe with crystal 9.0 Developer you use the license.msm which installs regwiz.exe, keycode.dll and keymgr.dll.

Great![thumbsup] I just built an Install Shield setup and installed my application on a computer that doesn't have Crystal Reports, and did a quick test to export to PDF from a report. It worked fine.

As you say, the trick is to do what the instructions from Install Shield and Crystal Decisions say, except ignore what they say about regwiz.msm. Just use your installer tool (I had to use ORCA because I have InstallShield Express 3.5, not the Developer) to open the license.msm that is in cr9rdcmergemodules.zip and go to the Property table and enter the key code from your Crystal Reports 9 as the value for PID.

Thanks DrJavaJoe for getting me unstuck.

Sorry chelseatech I've been away awhile and didn't see your question until today. As I recall, I put the CR9 merge modules into
"C:\Program Files\InstallShield\Express\Modules\i386" only because that is where most of the modules the Install Shield listed happened to be. If I were to do it again (and I haven't had to mess with Install Shield since then, lucky me) it would probably be smarter to create a new folder anywhere and unzip the new merge modules there. Then I could right-click on any merge module listed by Install Shield and then Browse to the new folder where I would more easily find the new merge modules, instead of having them mixed in with all the old ones.

And yes, I had to download a utility called "Orca" from Microsoft to open and edit the License.msm file.

Hi! I've been seen all your discusion, rigth now I'm dealing with my PC to make an installer to my application (VB 6 and CR9).

I found all that about merge modules and stuff, I made the installer but when I try to launch the report I get an error and it finishes.

I was having a 50003 error before when I tried to launch the report and i think it might be the same error again.

I'm talking here that i've tried like 15 times (about a week and a lot of MB) to make an installer. First, it worked fine but didn't installed on Win 2K, only on XP. Now it installs on both OS but even on my computer I get the error when I launch the report.

Any help would be appreciated!

Magda

What exactly is the error. If you are getting the error on the development machine then it's not a problem with the installer. Are you getting the error while in the IDE?

It worked fine until I installed it on the development machine.

Now I get the error both on client and development machine :S

The programs runs but when I call the crviewer I get an error (one of those with the options: Send - Not Send)

Ok if I am understanding you right, you built an Installer -> tried it on other machines -> got errors when opening the viewer -> installed it on the development machine and you are now getting the same error on this machine even while in the IDE? If this is the case I would reinstall Crystal Reports on the development machine and start over. What are you using to build the installer?

To build the installer I downloaded Visual Studio Installer in order to make use of CR merge modules.

I will reinstall CR (this would be the third time today). I will remove it and install it again.

However, I must tell you that development and client computers have installed CR8.5 (at least a client version) in order to view Solomon IV reports. On the development machine I have installed full versions of both 8.5 and 9 with no problem.

How can I tell if my installer is interfering with some files on my register?

Once you reinstall does it work in the IDE? If so make sure in VB you are referencing the version 9 files. Then I would try to load a blank report into the viewer then set up an install package just to see if I could get the installer working. Basically start real simple and build up. Also post exactly what error you are receiving.

I'm getting this error: "50003: Unexpected Error"

I did discover that I needed a Registry Entry to point the CR9 stuff to the right folder, but I'm still struggling to get my App to install on a clean client.

I use VMWare to create a clean new Windows PC (seperate ones for NT4 and W2k). Then I copy across my install program using a shared folder. (Isn't VMWare great for this sort of thing?)

The Crystal Viewer is staring okay but I'm getting an error when it tries to run the report. It looks like it can't find any valid Db source.

Do I need to install MDAC?

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

I think you need to install MDAC, I use MDAC 2.7 on my development and client machines.

Did you manually registered crystal dlls with regsvr32??

hi, i just found this post, and im having the exact same problem.. i have a vb6.0 application with CR9 and i cannt make it work on my clients computer...

i have InstallShield Developer 8.0 and the eval version of InstallShield Express 4.0.. i read all the posts but im still very confuced, can someone that fixed it tell me exactly what to do??

what i have to download, and where i have to put it, and what i have to do??

thank you very very much

Eli

Hi Eli,
This is what I did:

I found this document named rdc9_deployment.pdf on crystal decions support page. Here is the URL:

On that document tells you how to use the merge modules.

I downloaded the Installer for VStudio 6 SP 4 mentioned on the document. I did everything mentioned on the document but I did this also:

When making the msi package with the Installer, you are able to set the path where installed files are going to with the File System tab on the Project Explorer.

I created a Common Files Folder so the crystal files would install into: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\bin and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\crystalreportviewers\ActiveXViewer
(I created the "Crystal Decisions" folders and so on)

The msi Installer by default places all the files into your application file folder, I moved the correspondent files to the Crystal Decisions folder and I left on the system folder craxdrt9.dll along with other system files. I left the crviewer9.dll on the crystalreportviewers\ActiveXViewer folder (on common files).

I built the installer and then I had to create 2 bat files so I could register CRD on client machines. I made one for WXP and another for W2K.

W2K.bat
----------------------------

@ECHO OFF
REGSVR32 "C:\WINNT\system32\craxdrt9.dll"
REGSVR32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\crystalreportviewers\ActiveXViewer\crviewer9.dll"

WXP.bat
----------------------------
@ECHO OFF
REGSVR32 "C:\WINDOWS\system32\craxdrt9.dll"

And that's all I did and my installer finally worked. :)

Magda

Hello ,
I developped a VB6 application which uses Crystal Reports 9 (evaluation version). I built a kit with InstallShield Expres 4.0. and I installed the kit on a test machine.
The reports don't work . I get the following error
"Application-defined or object-defined error", error number is 713.

I must mention that i checked in InstallShield the "Seagate Registration Wizard" which came first from regwiz.msm ( which i modified with Orca as Crystal Support instructs) and second i tried with a "Seagate Registration Wizzard" component based on license.msm (also modified with
Orca).
What am i doing wrong here?
Any help would be appreciated , thank'you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back