Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR9 Memo Truncated

Status
Not open for further replies.

1chicken

Programmer
Jun 11, 2003
US
Memo Field is truncated to 2 char. Source=Oracle

Can't fix by truncating (left({x}, 250)

or embedding in text.

Thoughts?

What connectivity are you using?

If ODBC, make sure that it's the CR supplied one. If that doesn't help, try changing connectivity methods, such as OLE DB or Direct.

-k

I have the same problem.
It was fine in version 8.5 but in version 10 my Memo fields are cut to first two characters.
I use the same ODBC for both versions with different results. ODBC uses Oracle driver.

I have a customer who ran into the same issue today (using Crystal 9 runtime components). Did you guys find a clear resolution to the problem?

Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

There are lots of whitepapers regarding export with memo fields and CR 9.

Perhaps you're using a different ODBC driver?

-k

SV,

This is not an export situation; the data is truncated to 2 characters while viewing the report in a viewer application.

I'll ask the user for more detaiul about the data access driver.

Regards,
- Ido

If all else fails, you can create a view of the table. In the view, take the leftmost 255 characters of that field. Then, it will show up as type String.

I knew yours wasn't an export, Ido, I just wanted you to be aware of the whitepapers as they might be applicable.

I've had similar errors when using the Oracle supplied ODBC driver within CR 8.5 instead of the native or Crystal supplied ODBC.

-k

Thanks guys. I'm still waiting for the customer (CR 9 with an Oracle 8i) to get back to me about what precise driver they are using on both PCs (one PC where my viewer doesn't cause truncation and another where my viewer truncates to 2 characters).

It must be a registry or connection method issue but I was hoping someone knows precisely what the issue is.

Have a great long weekend!
- Ido

Just to close the loop on this: the customer changed from CR 7 ODBC driver for Oracle to Native connection and the problem went away.

Cheers,
- Ido

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back