Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(CR8.5) Parameters and SQL Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gameboy9

Programmer
Jun 8, 2001
US
I'm trying to use parameters within an SQL Query... but I'm not being very successful. The SQL query below is very complex, which is why I'm trying to do this. Should I even try a different method, or is there a way to get parameters in the SQL?

Thanks for any help you have in advance.

(I apologize if this is in the wrong forum... I can see this being in forum 1 too...)

SELECT hrpersnl.`p_empno`, hrpersnl.`p_fname`, hrpersnl.`p_lasthire`, hrpersnl.`p_level2`, hrpersnl.`p_level3`, hrpersnl.`p_lname`, hrpersnl.`p_misc1`, hrpersnl.`p_misc2`, tkmul001.`u_trndat`, tkmul001.`u_trnexp`, tkmul001.`u_trntyp`

FROM hrpersnl LEFT JOIN tkmul001 ON hrpersnl.p_empno = tkmul001.u_empno AND tkmul001.u_trntyp = "JC20"

WHERE hrpersnl.p_empno NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT tkmul001.u_empno FROM tkmul001 WHERE tkmul001.u_trntyp = 'JC20' AND tkmul001.u_trnexp >= {^2004-09-03}) AND (hrpersnl.p_misc2 = 'EI' OR hrpersnl.p_misc2 = 'E' OR hrpersnl.p_misc2 = 'AEI' OR hrpersnl.p_misc2 = 'AE') AND hrpersnl.p_active = 'A' AND (hrpersnl.p_jobcode = '130' OR hrpersnl.p_jobcode = '210' OR hrpersnl.p_jobcode = '212' OR hrpersnl.p_jobcode = '215' OR hrpersnl.p_jobcode = '218' OR hrpersnl.p_jobcode = '216')

ORDER BY hrpersnl.p_level2 ASC, hrpersnl.p_lname ASC, hrpersnl.p_fname ASC, tkmul001.u_trntyp ASC

*** WHERE I WANT PARAMETERS: tkmul001.u_trnexp - but I can't do it using ordinary measures.

Why not just pass the data from SQL to Crystal and then create a parameter inside Crystal to filter the data? Are you returning a HUGE amount of information?

Parameters will work fine with Crystal, I use them all the time when creating Stored Procedures and basing my report on them.

Example

Create Procedure XXXX
@parameter name numeric = 0 (or CHAR(X) or what you wish your parameter you return)
as
Select statement
Where
fieldname = @parameter name

Then Crystal will see the parameter when opening the report, and promt you for an entry. This is a simplified explanation, I do hope it helps?

Bob
Robert Pevey and Associates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back