Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR5 ODBC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettaa

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2006
US
I'm running CR5 with access 2.0 database, and one of my co-workers is trying to figure out how to set the location of database such that the location of the database is the same as the location as the report. We are connecting to the database using an ODBC connection so we can use direct SQL command that was impossible to put together using CR5 connecting to the database as a datafile. Anyhelp would be great.

Uhhh, why don't you POST an example of what you're trying to do, I don't understand why you couldn't place the report in the same folder as the database and then use the same locations, nor should it matetr if they're in the same location, but who knows with 10+ year old software.

In either case I'd use the UNC path, as in:

\\machinename\path...

not

<driveletter>\path

-k

For some reason, when you're using the ODBC connection to Access, it does not allow you to choose the "same as report location" as you would when creating a report using a plain database file. The reason we have to use the ODBC connection is that it is what allows us the ability to enter SQL queries directly.

As for the age of the software we're using, it isn't ideal, but the software our company has made was written in VB3 and VB6, and until we rewrite our newest version in VB.NET, we're stuck with Crystal 5. Thanks again for your help. If you have any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!

-Bradley B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back