Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR10 Need dynamic parameter work-around

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmctrek

Programmer
Jul 8, 2004
US
I'm new to CR, but I've been programming for over 17 years.

I'm told that CR11 has dynamic parameters, but I have CR10. No chances of an upgrade.

My report has a parameter filed called ?ReportDate. This date will be every Saturday of the year, but can chance with delays in processing.

I want to populate my parameter's default values (or a formula) with the following SQL:

select distinct (Reporting_Dt)
from dbo.Claims_Data

Are there any work-arounds?

Thanks,
gmctrek

Nope.

What does "This date will be every Saturday of the year, but can chance with delays in processing. " mean? In particular, "but can chance..."? A typo meaning that you can't chance it..?

Anyway, you can join your existing query to a command object containing the date pulling SQL, or better yet just create a View to contain the query and join the View to your data.

Being a veteran, you probably understand the wisdom of NOT embedding queries (business rules) in your client anyway, so create views or stored procedures.

-k

Yes. It is a type. The date can "change." My database load job (DTS package - SQL Server) is scheduled to run on Saturday after the main job stream. If the main job stream has a delay, it could be Sunday be my job runs.

Hi,
As usual, synapse has it..Use either a command object or, ideally, a View to produce the Dates needed and let the link to that set of dates control records returned for the report.

For instance ( Oracle code would be something like):
Code:
Create or replace view My_Report_data as 
Select * from Report_table where Trunc(datefield_in_ReportTable) in ( select distinct (Trunc(Reporting_Dt))
from dbo.Claims_Data);
( Trunc used to eliminate the time component in Oracle Date ( timestamp) fields..

Something like that should do what you need..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back