Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR XI - Going Rate for CR Developers? TEXAS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrionStar

Technical User
Dec 3, 2004
US
I'm curious, what is the approx. salary range for CR Developers in Texas or Central USA area???

Any ranges and basic job descriptions would be greatly appreciated.

MV

"What would you attempt to do... if you knew ... you could not fail?

There are dozens of factors involved in this. And I have no experience in Texas.

It depends on whether the job is a temp, like a conversion of some reports from something to crystal or a full-time ongoing job with a budgeted position.

I doubt you are going to get too many people to talk about their short-term price, for obvious reasons.

It seems like a lot of people want to hire Crystal Reports writers for about $35/hr in Denver. This is sometimes on W2 (regular employee) and sometimes on 1099 (independent contractor). I know sometimes this is fine and sometimes it is way too low.

If this is a 1+ year job, that would be about 70K for a W2. It comes out quite a bit lower for 1099, but can be as low as 35K. This is probably high market price for a full-time, ongoing job, give or take. I think I've seen some writers asking for 60K annual.

You can probably find out a lot of this by looking for a salary survey.

Now for short term, anything goes. Well, sort of. I've seen people price themselves between $30 and $110 for a variety of reasons. Location/commute, length of contract, hours per day, expectation/requirements, ...

Basic job description is a little more comfortable discussion:

-Interact with users to develop new reports.
-Convert older reports in legacy systems into Crystal.
-Create the reports (in case that isn't clear)
-Document code and development of reports.
-Understanding of business processes is preferred.
-Maintain a consistency in report appearance and style.
-Logical approach to coding.
-Ability to work independently.
-Strong analytic and communication skills a must.

With all the usual 'must play well with others' kinds of stuff you see in any job description. If you are hiring, don't bother asking for a degree from your candidate. You can always decide whether that should be a factor after you've got them in the door to see their stuff. If you put anything in the ad that isn't an absolute need you might scare away an excellent candidate.

The ability to make a crystal report is part visual design, part programming, part business process understanding, and as much clarity on what the end-users need as possible.

If you are on the hiring side you want candidates who can fulfill as much of this list as possible. A data nerd is a good candidate if he can communicate with your end-users.

The ideal report communicates to the user what they need in as most useful a way as possible, with the least amount of visual or processing overhead.

My advice; if you are hiring someone, make them show code samples and report examples. If you are on the other side, be prepared to show samples and report examples. If the hirer didn't think to ask then you might be a few steps ahead of your competition.

Since every part of the job consists of communicating with someone (or something, in the case of the databases and crystal itself) you can't have someone who can't communicate well. But the person also has to have an analytic streak or they won't be able to solve problems.

Scott.

Thank you for this excellent information. I appreciate your insight and help.

MV

"What would you attempt to do... if you knew ... you could not fail?

OrionStar, I'm working in San Antonio as an independent programmer. Crystal assignments have composed a little over half my work volume. Usually, as I've been with the company only six months, I've not gone to the users solo to analyze their requirements for new reports, though I do follow up with questions and I explain operation of the simple VB interfaces directly to users.

I typically do not bill 40 hours a week, more like 20 or 30.
I do what Scott describes above as a basic job description.

I looked for a job in Austin and found the market mature, saturated, and tight. But most times I posted a resume that said I would work in San Antonio, I ended up with several messages from recruiters within 24 hours. I wonder if San Antonio might pay a premium for a given level of proficiency because I guess Crystal programmer supply would be tighter in SA, and a premium might entice some of the less-than-fully-employed programmers from Austin.

My private-sector pay in San Antonio has been $40 to $50 an hour, no benefits, 20 or 30 hours a week billable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back