Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR-V5 - Verify Database - File could not be found

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRB-Bldr

Programmer
May 17, 2001
US
We are using CR V5 (yes its OLD, but we have a lot of CR Reports already written and they are not automatically supported in later versions).

Regardless, when I open an existing CR V5 report and then try to do a Verify Database I get an error message indicating:
Error Opening File - File could not be found.....

The Data Table is a Visual Foxpro 'free' table.
CR is on a workstation and that Data Table resides on the server and is accessible via a mapped drive.
The Data Table will self-launch into Visual Foxpro when I navigate to it and double click on its filename.

Everything I test with indicates that the Data Table is fully accessible to the workstation

Just for testing purposes I have attempted to do the same test with multiple CR V5 Reports (each using different Data Tables - same mapped server, but in different directories) and get the same result each time.

I am no CR expert, but it seems as though something is configured wrong with this CR installation.

What can I do to correct the problem?

Your advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

I mostly work with Crystal reports with data in Access, but I would try to create a new connection to the data.

Thanks for the reply.

I did finally resolve the problem, but it did not occur as I would have liked.

I ended up having to do it the PULL TEETH manner by Removing all of the "Free" Data Tables from the Report - thereby causing all fields to disappear.

Then I Added the single primary table back in.
Finally by using the Visual Linking Expert I was able to add back in the 2nd 'Free' table.
NOTE - when I tried to add in the 2nd table using the Add Database to Report it did NOT work. It continued to assume that the new data table (a.k.a. mistakenly called a Database) was an Access component and was requiring me to log into that.

At this point I was able to successfully execute a Verify Database

Now I need to go through and recreate all of my Report Fields.

Regardless, thanks for the reply.
JRB-Bldr

I've run into that issue before with an application that had built in security and you needed to grant access to each table.

Charliy - I appreciate your reply. In this situation that was not the case.
This was a previously working CR Report and it was already successfully accessing the same data tables.​

The reason this was encountered was that one of the tables had new fields added and the existing report now needed to be modified to utilize some of those fields
Unfortunately the Report refused to show those new fields from the table as available.
To resolve that I attempted to do a Verify Database and then Fix the report.
That did not work.

Thanks
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back