Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CR 9; Not Able to Suppress Blank Sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradle

Programmer
Jan 7, 2004
US
Hi All -

I have a report that is ordered as follows:

Multiple Page Header Lines
Group Header with subreport
Details with subreport
Group Footer 1a with subreport
Group Footer 1B with subreport
Page Footer

I'm trying to make it such that the Group Footer sections are suppressed when the subreport returns no data. I'm not having much luck; I've tried using the Section Expert for both the main report as well as the subs with the "Suppress Blank Section" option, but am never seeing the section suppress when it should. I'm sure I'll have to clarify a bit, but these are the basics of the issue. Please let me know if you have a possible solution, or have any questions about the report to get to the point of making a recommendation or two.

I use Crystal Reports very rarely - apologies if this requires a very basic resolution.

Thanks,
Tim

In Crystal 8.5, the subreport is evaluated after the rest of the section, and after the decision that the section can be printed. They apparently fixed this in Crystal 9. For Crystal 8.5, you can get a work-round:
a) Copy the subreport
b) Place the subreport in some higher section, and make it as small as possible.
c) Use Shared Variables to pass back a value, that will indicate whether or not the subreport should be suppressed.
d) Use this returned value to determine whether or not to suppress the main copy of the subreport.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Oops, you are using Crystal 9, I overlooked that. Someone who used Crystal 9 will need to advise you.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back