Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU with faster FSB than mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexonx

Programmer
Jan 10, 2001
US
I want to upgrade the CPU on my SuperMicro P4SBA+ mobo. According to the manual, the fastest it can take is 2.4GHz P4 with 400MHz FSB. I found a good price on a 2.4GHz processor with 533 MHz FSB and 1Mb cache. I'd really like to get the extra cache. Will this cause any problems?

I'm not sure you should buy that motherboard unless you are absolutely sure that the 2.4 P4 Processor you buy is unlocked. That way you can get all your processing power. With a 400MHz FSB, your multiplier would be 6 making 2400Mhz or 2.4Ghz. If you motherboard is smart, it'll clock down the multiplier. But if your Motherboard isn't smart, and it leaves the multiplier as the processor states which is 4x for a P4 2.4Ghz Processor, you'll only see 1.6Ghz of that power.

All in all, get a board that supports a 533Mhz FSB or even an 800Mhz bus for later. Or you could do like I did, and get an Athlon XP :)

Exactly right. The multiplier is locked and therefore you would not be able to run the CPU at full speed. The extra cache is only half the difference between the two types - a faster FSB more than makes up for the other half. Not using a motherboard that can support the faster FSB hardly does the CPU justice, and makes it only marginally better than the 2.4GHz 400MHz version.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back