Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU useage with Office 2000 / Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausie

MIS
Oct 23, 2001
AU
Has any one had any of the following problems if so do you know of a fix.

1. Auto Save in Excel causes 100% CPU useage if it times out with a change it wants to make but Excel not in focus.

2. Hold the left mouse button down and select multiple cells in Excel or characters in word and Cpu useage goes to 100% while left button is pressed.

3. Open up an email word attachment from Outlook then exit Outlook. Word continues to run as a process with 100% cpu useage but no indication to user on their task bar.

4. If a user not running auto save leaves an application unattended for 5 minutes it will also switch CPU useage to 100%.

We are running high end servers (Unix 7000)set up with 4 cpus and 4 GByte Ram 1.8 Tera byte raid 5 hard disk space. So all in all should not be a slouch. The servers are running with Windows 2000 Advanced server SP2 / Citrix Meta frame 1.8 SP 2 .The machine is loaded with various applications including Office 2000 SP2 suite of products. We are operating with aprox 35 users logged on simultaneously. As the machine has 4 CPU's Task manager reports 25% CPU useage for these rogue processes. We have upgraded the number of CPUs to 8 now as a temporary cover to keep users moving but this can not continue.

Obviously we only need 2 users to perform any of the above functions and everyone complains of lack luster system performance.

I have also been able to duplicate problems 1 and 2 on my stand alone machine at home running Windows Me.

regards Ozie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back