Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU usage jumps on WinXP with Pentium4 2.6Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

JhayAnn

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
US
Maybe it's just me & I need to be edumacated on CPU usage but...

I have a game server (Neverwinter nights) that I try to run on my computer, and actually - it runs great! With 5 people on it, it takes up about 0-5% CPU (according to the WinXP processes window). My man supervises/plays on the server from his own computer & experiences no lag or performance probs.

Usually, I can have other things running while the server is in the background - & the gamers won't even feel it. But when I run this one particular game (The Sims) which uses no more than 2% CPU, the server suddenly decides it needs to hog up ALL (89-99%) of the CPU and even though the server doesn't lockup, the players see major lag/performance probs & get booted fast.

Why doesn't the server maintain its 0-5% CPU usage? What's odd is that it doesn't do this with other games/programs I have running on the computer, just The Sims.

Can anyone explain why this is (CPU usage), and if there's a way to fix it?

I have tried setting the server priority to "above normal" or higher, with The Sims at "below normal", but it didn't change anything. I have set up my computer to dedicate more CPU & memory to the system cache to act as a server but that didn't help either.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I suggest it has to do with DirectX... try installing 9.0b.
Else it could be a resource conflict (?)

Regards

We've got the latest DirectX and it must work fine - or else the other games I have wouldn't run right either, and as for a resource conflict -- it DOES seem like the 2 games don't want to cooperate/coexist with each other.
It really sucks because my computer is more than triple the recommended requirements for both the server and The Sims game, yet I can't run them both at the same time.
I have no intention of giving up my computer so my man can use it as a dedicated server, and he doesn't want to give up having a gaming server for a game he's worked hard to build...
Right now, he's ready to go out & buy another computer for that specific purpose, but to me - it's ridiculous to spend even more $$ for something that SHOULD be fixable somehow....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back