Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandie2005

Technical User
Aug 3, 2005
CA
Hi,
The last power outage at my house took the computer out for the last time. It used to boot after about 12 attempts on the power/reset button and windows would boot but would be visible through various blinking colors etc and then needed to be told to "restart" and it would restart fine. I wish to know if I need a new CPU but I am not sure how to test it seeing as I have no display of any kind. The fan, power plant etc are working. I bought a new hard drive but I can't install that either just yet. I have a ASUS motherboard Socket A. I appreicate any help you can provide.

You can appreciate going on this limited information we can only percentage guess the problem.

Most likely cause is a bad power supply (PSU's often fail on one power rail giving the appearance that nothing is wrong)

Other things to consider:

Leaking or bad capacitors, examine the motherboards capacitors carefully for buldging etc

Addon card preventing boot, I remember having an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe that had an addon firewire card that did this very same thing.

With that in mind it would be advisable to strip your system to bare minimum

Unfortunately a damaged CPU could also be at fault.

Are U sure your heatsink/fan unit is fitted correctly (recess in the base of the heatsink positioned so it is over the raised cam box of the CPU socket)

Clear cmos

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back