Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conutmonky

Technical User
Oct 25, 2004
AU
Hey i have an AMD athlon 2800+ 64 processor, and lately my computer has been turning on alright, then suddenly freezing. I thought maybe it was too hot so i went into bios and watched the temp, and it started at around 45 and climbed to 53 or so....is that a resonable temp for my cpu?

A little on the high-side unless you're doing anything at 100% CPU useage. Double check that it isn't dust-clogged and that the fan is not obstructed.

Conutmonky
I'd also check the temp in bios and see if it tally's with the hardware monitor readings, it seems many new motherboards report inacurate temperature readings.
53C isn't bad, perhaps a few degrees on the high side but nothing to get worried about.
Is this a retail fan? with the supplied thermal pad?
if not have you applied sufficient paste? and is the heatsink properly pulled down.
What about case cooling? have you at least one extra case fan? modern high powered CPU's need additional case cooling because to keep internal air supply temp down.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

In another thread this same problem turned out to be the heatsink was put on backwards.

denny705
Not on an Atlon64, they have a differant core heat spreader so altogether revised heatsink/cooler retaining mechanism, similar to an Intel P4.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back