Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU temp.= 72 degrees 'C' help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NextOne

MIS
Mar 14, 2003
GB
A few weeks ago my system blacked out and began beeping, the was due to my shut down mode enable within CMOS, having got my computer serviced, experts can not cool my CPU down, with a new heatsink and fan! They've tried changing the CPU, motherboard and powersupply - it makes no difference. My system starts up at 56 C and climbs to 72 C, i have disabled any shutdown function because otherwise my computer would shut down immediately (max being 70 C). Im running an AMD AHLON XP 2200+, my motherboard is an EPOX 8K3A+ Mainboard no. = DDR333. Having emailed EPOX they tell me its nothin to worry about and the BIOS will read higher than it actually is.

This does'nt provide me with any peace of mind, what if they are wrong? My CPU will burn out and i cant claim (having replaced the provided AMD approved heatsink and fan with a different one [not AMD]) i have blown my warranty.

What shall i do?????????????
How can i get an accurate reading of the CPU temp????

Even if you've had the heatsink/fan replaced with aftermarket, or stock, I have seen far too many shops still not install them correctly.
AMD has some GREAT video and pics on their site, explaining exactly how it should all be done.
I would watch the vid, and then remove the heatsink and fan, and do it their way.
See if the temps come down.
Check the ECS motherboard manual, for location of the heat sensors. Sometimes there's one right under the core, and if it's bent wrong, you get wacky temp readings. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Epox not ECS.
Despite what the shop and Epox have told you, I still think there is a problem here, true some bios's do not read particularly accurately and there have been several motherboards recently like Abits Nforce2 NF7S that have read temperatures incorrectly high, yours may well be one of them, but this situation is normally corrected by flashing with the latest bios.
As Comtech says, even when taking the greatest of care with the application of paste and heatsink, sometimes it simply doesn't seat properly or has microscopic pockets of trapped air that prevent good heat transfer. I can personally vouch for this as I have been getting slightly higher temperatures with my setup than I expected after fitting a new copper cooler with Artic Silver III, I was convinced that the heatsink was fitted and seated correctly so discounted out of hand that this could be the cause of the higher temperatures. Several weeks went by and I decided to remove, clean and refit the heatsink with a fresh application of paste, the differance straight away was dramatic, lowering the temps overall by 7C, so although there had clearly been a perfect footprint on the base of the heatsink when removed, there must have been a small air pocket trapped, preventing good thermal conductivity, so it just goes to show even when taking the greatest of care these things can happen.
BTW, I am a system builder and fit 10-15 CPU's and heatsinks a day so if I can get it wrong anyone can.
Lastly, the XP2.2+ thoroughbred A core is actually a very cool processor (much cooler than my older Palomino XP2.1+)
This is because of the reduced manufacturing die size, this means it is usually a very "heat managable" CPU, the only word of warning here is that the thoroughbred A has a much smaller contact area (40% smaller than a palomino) so AMD recommend (stipulate) that it must be used in conjunction with an approved copper or copper based heatsink (because copper has better heat transfer properties than Alluminium)
Now just to contradict myself here (well AMD) I will say despite AMD's official documented warnings about this, some of there retail bundelled XP2.2+ heatsink/fan units are of the all Alluminium scrived type, which goes completely against there own official advice. VERY WEIRED!!
Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back