Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU spec for SQL Server 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshyWizard

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2006
GB
I'm looking at starting to study for my MCSD and am wondering what spec computer I should be looking to get if I want to run SQL Server 2000 on it for training and practice purposes.

Cheers

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday - and all is well.....

Hi,
It depends on the amount of work you plan to use it for. I have a 1.2 Ghz Athlon with 256Mb of RAM and it runs SQL 2000 with no problems when developing applications. Not sure how it would perform under heavy load...?

Thanx!

Dave Shaw
Nothing is Impossible, it is just something I haven't got round to doing. - Me
History admires the wise, but elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

if your going to get deep into DB dev while working for your MCSD then in like so many other areas the answer would be Get as much as you can afford. Now with that said you have to balance CPU with memory needs. Your memory needs depending on how large the Databases you plan to work with are. with the price of todays machines 1GB of memory is totally within reason and a 3GHZ processor. My home development machine is a 3.2GHZ HT with 1GB memory. I do mainly DW prototyping and testing of different techniques and the machine works great for me.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Back when SQL 2000 came out I was running production servers on a Dual Chip 500 Mhz with 1 Gig of Ram. And it ran just fine.

SQL will run on a very lean machine. What will start to slow it down is how much of a load you put on it, and how sloppy the code that you are running against it is.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back