Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU shut off option on Win Xp Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

dprao

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2001
CA
Hi,

I installed Windows XP Professional on my home computer:

1. When I shut it down, the monitor gives me a message like the old windows, "You may now turn off the computer " instead shutting off the CPU. My previous version ME had this feature and I see XP does it on other PCs, can somebody advise how to activate it. I tried the Power option and did not find anything to activate this feature. I do not have a power shut off button on my keyboard.

2. Is the Windows XP Professional to be considered an upgrade to the Windows 2000.

DPR

I have XP Pro and it doesn't shut down... Actually, when I had 2K Pro on another machine, it shut down automatically... wen I changed machines 2K Pro on this one didn't shut down and now XP doesn't either.

I was told by someone that that ws in the bios... but I am a programmer and understand only a fraction of the "Tech" side of things...

I hope this helps, or at least doesn't hurt! :) BeckahC

Hi Beckah,

Thanks for your update, Bios could be the reason as I am running P-II, 400Mhz, may the mother board Bios does not have the option detecting the settings from Xp but it did for ME. It shuts dpwm and does all well on my son's computer which has AMD Athlon 800Mhz.

Thanks anyway,

DPRao

I also have a 400 or 450 mhtz Pentium... a Dell actually... My previous computer was 300 or 350, but it was an HP. BeckahC

The following is an edited version of
WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN & RESTART TROUBLESHOOTING

Make sure your BIOS is updated if one is available.

If you change the default power settings in the BIOS, it can lead to a powerdown problem. Restoring all BIOS power settings to default will likely fix it.

When Windows XP won’t powerdown automatically, the APM/NT Legacy Power Node may not be enabled. To enable this, right-click on the My Computer icon, click Properties | Hardware | Device Manager | View. Check the box labeled “Show Hidden Devices.” If it’s available on your computer, there will be a red X on the APM/NT Legacy Node. Try enabling it and see if this resolves the powerdown problem.

Some users have reported their Win XP computers will not powerdown correctly unless they have Turn Off Monitor, Turn Off Hard Disks, and System Standby all set to “Never” in Control Panel | Power Options.

Some users have found that Windows XP won’t shutdown properly if unsigned device drivers are used.

There is a registry hack that some say helps.
Copy the bolded text below to a file named ShutmeDown.reg

save the file, right click on the file and choose merge.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"PowerDownAfterShutdown"="1"

If pro is the opposite of con, what's the opposite of Congress?

Thanks rjkrash, will try and see which option works.

DPR

Hi rjkrash,

Thanks for all the tips, APM/NT solved the problem. Last night it powered down after activating it and i have to see when i shut down today.

Thanks to all who responded,

DPR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back