Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Running Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a Pentium III 866 and it's running very very hot!! About 120 degrees C / 260 degrees F. My CPU fan is running at 5000 RPM. I haven't used a thermal paste only the pad on the bottom of the heat sink. Can anyone help?

hi methadone,

wow your cpu is VERY HOT, for 120 C your cpu would be burning out, are you overclocking your cpu? Make sure the pad on the bottom of the heat sink is TOUCHING the cpu, because if it's isn't that is the problem. Most likely either your heatsink is not touching your cpu...that is causing it to be this hot. What kind of fan and heatsink do you have? Also are you overclocking your cpu? 866 i would assume it's 133x6.5 multiper. Any fan on your computer?

hui

also you might want to buy a artic silver to put in between the cpu and the heatstink, remember to remove the pad if you do that.
some sites for fans

Overclocking could be the problem, but even if it was you should still get some paste (grease, even if you have to replace your fan) and make sure there is contact between the heat sink and the CPU. Also think about adding a case fan to help circulate more air into the system.

On the FPGA Intell Processors you should always use the thermal paste and also get a decent heat sink and fan. Recommend that you check with and see the fans they have to offer. Least of which it will give you a good idea of what types are available and possibly might be able to purchase from a local vendor. I had the same problem on my system and ended up putting oversized heatsinks and a decent fan to cool it off and my problem went away. But what ever you do, DO NOT USE GREASE as "sodbuster" posted. The quickest way to toast the Processor and your board is to use the improper compound. You can get a tube of the stuff from any Radio SHack store and it will probably cost you about $4 for the tube. Just use a little bit is all that is needed (a spot about the size of the tip of an #2 pencil erasor is all you need) since it will squish out under the load of the retaining sppring of the heat sink and heat alone will cause it to flow a bit. But the bottom line is to use a good quality heatsink and fan will go along way. You may want to check what your CPU core voltage is and if it is correct.

Cheers,

Tim

The reason you only want a thin layer of paste is that a thick layer works like an isolator and the affect is a warmer cpu. Follow tschuy (Tim´s) advice and you should be fine.
Are you sure that your thermometer isn´t torn?
Many built-in thermometers show incorrect values.
That cpu should be toast a long while ago. Have you touched the cpu while "in motion". Did it burn your hand? /Sören

Did you remove the plastic that is attached to the "Ovum" on the back off the fan before you lathed it down?

Shut it down, let it cool, remove the fan, if you have removed some "ovam" (the goo) from the bottom of your fan, then you have and should double check all your settings including whether or not you have the cpu you think you have (cross reference the CPUID number on Intels website)

If you are still in the dame situation, send back the CPU for and Exchange....

If you can't send it back, count it as an expensive mistaek and repeat after me......

If none of these work, possiply your CPU isn't designed to run as fast as you've been told.....Try to UNDERCLOCK it-maybe 5X in the bios, you really wouldn't notice the diff. in everyday tasks. ( 120C? you could fry eggs on that! :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back