Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cpu-motherboard combo 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

okcomp

Technical User
Jan 18, 2004
US
Hi all, Has anyone use this combo?, if so please give me your input. Biostar M7NCG-400 motherboard, AMD XP2400 or AMD XP2500, 2x256 3200 ddr memory. I am on the verge of ordering this setup today and any input would be appreciated.

thanks
okcomp

Here's my $.02. If I were building a system using that MB I would suggest the following. I hope someone will correct me or echo my suggestions.
First, I use almost exclusively Biostar MBs. Since I build quite a few systems It makes it easier because the settings, wiring and jumpers are generally the same for all their boards. But additionally, I have found them to be inexpensive and very reliable. Out of about 300 systems over 2 years I have only had 2 failures.
As for the processor. I ONLY use AMD. There is a big difference between the AMD 2400 and 2500. The 2400 has only a 266 FSB and 256 Cache while the 2500 has a 333 FSB and 512 Cache. The difference in price (at least from my supplier)is only $8.00 If you're going to put out extra money to get the board you're getting it doesn't make sense not to get the better processor.
Now as to the memory. I don't think (but am not sure)that buying 400MHz memory gives you any advantage if the board and processor are 333 FSB. I believe you are served just as well getting PC2700 memory or 333MHz. From my supplier you would save a total of $14.00 on the 2 256MB chips if you go with the PC2700.
Last, I don't know what the advantage would be to buying 2 256MB chips instead of 1 512MB. Again, from my supplier you would save $5.00 buying 1 512MB 333MHz as opposed to 2 256Mb 333MHz or you would save $14.00 buying 1 512MB 400MHz as opposed to 2 256MB 400MHz chips.
In summary, while some may not like Biostar boards I think there're great and strongly recommemnd them. I STRONGLY recommend AMD chips, and I AM sure that the 2500 is a much better buy with that MB. The only thing I'm not real positive about is if there is an advantage to using 400MHz memory when the MB and CPU only have a 333FSB.

Using two DIMMS allows one to take advantage of the Dual-Channel feature memory feature, gaining some speed improvements.

Freestone,
My mistake. I see now where this board has the DualDDR memory controller.
Am I correct in saying that using PC3200 memory offers no advantage over PC2700 memory with the AMD 2500 processor? Although the board supports 400Mhz FSB. The specs I see on the 2500 processor is only up to 333Mhz FSB.
This to me would be the key. Since I would only save $5 on buying a single 512 chip of PC2700 I would probably opt for the 2 256 chips. But If I were able to take advantage of the PC3200 I would still probably buy a single 512 chip and save $14 because I doubt that the performance gained with the dualDDR would be very apparent.

Thanks for the excellent replies.
The only reason for the 3200 ddr is the price for me is the same as 2700 ddr, so I guess I may go with the 3200.

As for the using 2x256 is that the the dual channel ddr runs at 128-bit and with a single memory stick it is only 64-bit, hence the 2x256 chips.

thanks for your input, I think it put me in the right direction.

okcomp

okcomp
Seems to be a good budget choice, my only reservation is the fact that the board in only mini ATX form factor and not full size.
Only having 2 PCI slots does effect the boards upgrade capability.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I've always opted to install two (2) sticks of whatever size memory. My reasoning is this. If for whatever reason my memory goes down the tubes, if you have one (1) stick that's it.. you're done! But if you have two (2) and one (1) of them goes bad, at least you can still limp along untill you get another replacement.

DakotaDuce

paparazi, thanks for the reply about this board, it made me go back and check the specs., but this board (M7NCG-400) actually has 3 pci slots, 1 AGP 4x/8x, and 1 CNR slot.
So even though it has built in video, you are able to disable it and use the AGP slot to add a video card.

I think all of these options, plus the dual ddr memory system, has me wanting to try this board. I will let all of you know when I get it up and running.

I will admit it is a lot of options on a mini ATX.

thanks all for the input.
okcomp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back