Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cpu/motherboard/cmos problems? please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Migs79

MIS
Jun 14, 2002
US
I am having a problem I can't grasp. I turn my box on and i just get a blank screen and no beep from the cpu. I've resat the ram, checked all the cables. I've reset the cmos, replaced the cmos battery. The bios is up to date according to the manufacturer's website.

After I reset the cmos I finally get a beep from the cpu and it takes me into the bios to set the cpu speed manually. I load the setup defaults. Disable boot virus checking and the other settings seem fine. I save and exit and it gives me a blank again. If I leave it long enough it'll finally beep and take me into the bios and tells me my cpu halted because of an incorrect cpu setting. It's a p4 1.6 and that's what I set it to.

1) could it be my cpu is fried?
2) could it be my motherboard's cmos is fried?
3) any other suggestions.

Sorry for all the text. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

P4 1.60a ghz
256 ddr
2 hard drives, 1 cd-rom,
300 Watt PSU
ASUS P4S333 mobo

1. Possibly the cpu fan is not connected and it's shutting down because of that.

2. Try clearing you CMOS via the jumper for it and then reboot.

We are always looking for new members at our computer forums:

I've tried reseting the cmos via the jumper and the cpu fan is connected and blowing away. I've also checked the temps and voltages via the bios hardware check. It all seems to be running fine. Any other suggestions or do you think i'm gonna have to go start swapping parts with the local computer store?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated

I had a similar problem. I ended up going into the bios and turning off the quick boot features (memory check and that), and disabling the CPU overheat option. Make sure you don't have an overheating problem firat. Check the thermal past or pad between the fan and CPU.
Good Luck
Ed

Thanks for the replies I think I'm gonna go get some thermal paste and try that. I have popped the fan off a couple of times off the cpu so maybe that rubbed the thermal paste off. I left it off all night and it booted up into the bios and said my system hung for an improper cpu speed. I'm gonna try to disable the qickboot features. I also have a stop on all errors option that can be disabled. But I think the thermal paste will be the moneymaker if not then i'm gonna try to swap with a store cpu. hopefully they'll take it back. Thanks for all the help.

this is late, but you may still be checking it. it may be a FSB problem.

FSB? on the mobo? i've loaded the setup defaults and haven't messed with any othe mobo's jumpers. So do you think it's the mobo is fried or running at the wrong fsb speed? thanks for the replies. I'm still working on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back