Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cpu load and time spent in a process

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilio500

Programmer
Oct 15, 2000
UY
Could you help me?

how can i get the *current* cpu load?
I know there is a command called "uptime", but it shows an average of 15 past seconds at least..I'd need the current load.

How can I get statistics about how long a process was running, and how long a procedure/function was running?

Thank you so much

I am fairly new at LINUX myself - used UNIX about 10 years ago. I am getting the command line stuff out of the cobwebs, but in the mean time I have found WebMin an invaluable tool. There web site is they have both installs available - it is a web based tool that will allow access to the LINUX system via its IP address and either Port 1000 or 10000 depending on which version you get. You will need to log in as the root. The other great thing about it is you can access your LINUX box from any PC with a web browser that can get to the IP addr.

In WebMin you will find all the resource management tools you could possible need - from Running Processes (which give you the information your are seeking) to setting up CRON jobs to administering Apache, FTP SendMail etc.

Check it out - it's free - and there is good docs if you need them - I found the tool very self explanatory

Bruce Voelp
bvoelp@if.rmci.net

Earn AS in 1976 and BS in 1986. Learn to talk with computers when the only interface was 80 column punch cards, and paper tape.

You can use "top" to get current process size and cpu usage, it also reports the cpu load on the system in real time, read man top for more info.

Tony

Hi emilio500, Tony aka boebox is right. "top" does the job very well and it is good, easy to use and simple to understand.

--Moonshi

If you want something prettier, running in X, there are quite a few CPU/System load widgets which plot graphs of cpu, disk access etc... such as xload, asload, gstripchart, etc... (many more) Both KDE and Gnome have a couple more sophisticated tools that are even more detailed than the NT task manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back