Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU detection Strangeness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone05

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
GB
Hiya all,

I have a Win2k Adv Server Dell Box with 4 processors, that when I check the hardware within Windows and in task manager, it displays that there are 8 processors. There are definatly only 4.

Anyone know whats the cause of this is, or how to get windows to display the correct amount of processors?

Not a biggie, but it is bugging me.

Thanks

Clone05

We have experienced the same issue with IBM x360 machines, in our case it was a little known feature in the BIOS called "Hyper Threading", Check your BIOS for something to that effect. It actually is a performance feature, but I do know that some people experience trouble utilizing all 4 CPU's in applications that don't take advantage of the feature. I don't actually think there is anything wrong, however you need to be certain any multiprocessor aware operating systems can handle more than 4 CPU's (and not just recognize them) Otherwise you'll use the first 4 CPU's which in actuality are only 2 of the 4. Of course, I am making the assumption that your system chipset is similar to the IBM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back