Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU Damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squidman

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
US
Hi, what does it take to "permanently" damage the CPU?
Not so long ago, i installed the heatsink incorrectly (no contact between CPU and the sink) and the CPU temp rised to 81 degrees (i was in BIOS). My mobo has the Cpu Overheat Protection. I shut down thew PC immediatly (it didnt do it itslef. Plus, because i removed the CPU it was then runnig at 100MHz bus, not 166). PC works fine. How do i understand, whether the CPU is damaged (future knowledge)?
Thank you

If it's working it's probably OK. Usually they fail catastrophically.

First, what type of CPU do you have?

Second, 81 degrees is not hot enough to damage a processor of newer types. I have a 1.2ghz Thunderbird and it runs a constant 98 degrees.

comtec17, "newer types" actually have a lower max temps, squidmans XP2.6+ max is 85C older Athlon thunderbirds over 1gig were 95C and later Palomino's 90C (from memory)
So I think yor 98 constant must be 98F and not 98C.
98F would be a nice cool 37C or there abouts.
squidman, you do me 81C? if so this could have damaged the CPU and if it has you should be getting allsorts of errors occuring.
Obviously if your PC is running without regular errors you have been lucky :) you may want to carry out a CPU test, something like Sisoft Sandra. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Yes, SiSoft sandra gives me "normal" numbers, ie those that are in 50 pts. range of other benchmarkers (who benchmarked the cpu) (I think its 7800 for cpu (SSSandra), and 6350 in PCMark 2002). Yes, there are no errors whatsoever. Run games and programs fine. Also, ASUS has a C.O.P that was supposed to shut it down after reaching 80 degrees. Gets me thinking.
Why im asking this, is that i only get 4550 pts in PCMark memory benchmark, while others get about 5000 (but they have Corsair 2700 5-2-2-2, as opposed to mine: Samsung 7-3-3-2.5). I think its all good, its just im nervous.

Thanks for calming me down guys!
(Its 6 in the morning, woke up early - thats how nrvous i am)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back