Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPU cooler causing VxDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temjin

Technical User
Feb 9, 2005
US
Hi!

I had some probs with my AMD k6-2 500.
Well,I got a lot of those blue screens on my Windows lately with errors saying 'VxD.......'

I formatted my PC twice,but still got the damn screens.

So I opened up my PC and saw that the CPU cooler was acting weird.As I booted my system up, I could see the CPU cooler speed fluctuating,isn't it supposed to be constant?
And it even went dead twice when Windows was running.

Was it causing those 'Vxd' screens?

I went to the shop and seen several coolers with different cables.Where am I supposed to attach these cables cos the cables I seen are much smaller than my present cooler's.

Thanks for any help rendered!

There are instances that your processor chip may be overheating. However, I've had instances with an AMD K6/2 450MHz and an Asus P5A motherboard and no matter how many times I installed Windows and even installing different video cards, memory and CD-ROM drive I would still get the Blue Screen of Death. There was an instance where I had to go into the CMOS setup screen and disable the cache BIOS for the CPU and (I forgot the other word that was listed) and that didn't cause the BSoD but it did slow down the performance of the computer. After spending a year on this machine I finally threw it in the garbage. Just check around to make sure you get a fan that's similiar to the one you have. Some fans connect to the PC's power supply other's connect to the motherboard so just make sure you get the same type of connector or get one that you can plug into the power supply.

rob

This is apparently such a huge problem for the K6-2 series of CPU. You might be better off upgrading to either a PIII or an athlon, since the K6-2 is outdated now anyway. James Goodman
j.goodman00@btinternet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back