Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cplv PP Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

icahn

MIS
Apr 29, 2002
AU
Hi,
I'm installing a 32GB disk and plan to use cplv to copy logical volumes in existing 8GB disks into the new one. The volume group built on the 8GB disks have PP Size = 16MB. The new disk will be put into a new vg with a larger PP size (not sure, perhaps 32MB).

Is it possible to cplv -e lv1 lv2 where the PP Size of the volume group containing lv1 is different (larger) from the PP size of lv2? This is AIX 4.3.3.

TIA,

you are going to want to do a backup/restore maneuver. much easier, i promise.

IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

A cplv will copy the same PP size to the new disk as it was in the old. The only way to reduce the size of your lv is to backup and restore.

i agree that it would make your life easier to backup the whole filesystem and restore it to another lv you recreated. However, cplv will work as well. if you feel more comfortable doing this one can also. actually, its not going to follow the PP size of the previous one or original one. If you are concern about it, PP size is PP and LV is LV, as long as you copy the lv to an equivalent size or higher lv size and not smaller size of lv you created, then you are totally safe.

Hi,

However you move data to a LV it will get the PP that's specified for that VG. A VG can ONLY support one PP Size.

aixanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back