Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPIV removable flash issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis32

Technical User
Oct 18, 2007
US
Have a CPIV processor and the removable media faceplate seems to loose the ability to read or write software during a backup or upgrade.I have reloaded the processors which worked before.I tried to reinstall software and do a partition format but it wont read the SW flash.Anyone have any suggestions without buying new processor.I cant believe both are bad.When I stat in 137 it says its not accessable to any flash I put in.BU or Install flash

>ld 137
CIOD000
.stat

FMD
VENDOR: STI Flash 8.0.0
/p CAPACITY 318767104 Bytes
FREE SPACE 184156160 Bytes
/d CAPACITY 318767104 Bytes
FREE SPACE -1 Bytes <-- DO YOU SEE THIS AS WELL?
/e CAPACITY 318767104 Bytes
FREE SPACE 267821056 Bytes

RMD
VENDOR: STI Flash 8.0.0
/cf2 CAPACITY 127385600 Bytes
FREE SPACE 116492288 Bytes

If you do there is a fix for this problem. You have to know PDT to fix it, but it is by no means hard. It is a known issue, but this will fix the problem. You will have to perform this on both core modules.

I have seen this mostly with Succession 5.0 and 5.5 PIV systems. It was a pretty common problem when we upgraded, but the fix works fine. You can do it any time as it is not service affecting (or effecting?) so no worries.

Problem Resolution

Login the Problem Determination Tool (PDT) prompt and execute the following commands to recover the system without a warm or cold restart:

pdt>debug

dbg> dosFsShow /d

This command provides following output:
volume descriptor ptr (pVolDesc): 0x371e2c0

cache block I/O descriptor ptr (cbio): 0x51564e0

Copy the pointer value (in this case 0x51564e0):
auto disk check on mount: DOS_CHK_REPAIR |

DOS_CHK_VERB_SILENT

max # of simultaneously open files: 82

file descriptors in use: 6

# of different files in use: 5

# of descriptors for deleted files: 0

# of obsolete descriptors: 5

can't mount volume

- directory structure: VFAT

FAT handler information:
- allocation group size: 8 clusters

- free space on volume: 332,607,488 bytes

value = 0 = 0x0

dbg>cbioRdyChgdSet( 0x51564e0,0)<------ Paste the pointer value that you copied above here and execute the command.

This brings back the /u partition and the operations that depend on /u drive.

Last week I rebuild a CPPM release 5.0 using a 512 Meg RMD. When I tried to do a "RES" with the same card on the customers own CPPM system, my card couldn't be read from this other CPPM system.

In the end, I used a 32 Meg card with the backup folder moved onto it.

I now make a point of carrying many PCMCIA / CF cards with me and use my trusted and old Canon Powershot A70 camera to format the smaller CF cards, or any that have appeared to have gone bad!.

These cards do seem to be a concern on some sites.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

We've had an issue with the Nortel issued (supposedly SanDisk CF) and ended up using DOS to issue a CHKDSK /f to repair the compact flash. We no longer use it in our CPPM however - not sure we trust it :) Best of luck and YES like fbscram says carry multiple flash cards for this intermittent fail problem ;)

We had the same problem with a switch just upgrade to 6.0 with new proccesors. The system would not read any external flash card. We powered done the system and it would not come back up both proccesors where bad and had nolt been installed 2 months.

Interesting point found out today on a Pentium 4 V04.50w system. It would only accept a 512 Meg card in the faceplate. The one gig card I had failed to be read by the processor.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Yeah, try going into Best Buy or Radioshack and getting a 512mb card. They just look at you funny and tell you.."I have a 16GB card, why would you want a 512 card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back