Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cpan module installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oinkers

Programmer
Jun 14, 2000
US
Im on a win nt system using active perl. I am having trouble installing cpan modules because i dont have this "mkefile.pl". Does any1 have this or know where i can get this?

&quot;Makefile.PL&quot; is normally used on Unix systems with a C compiler and make installed to build Perl modules from source.&nbsp;&nbsp;The normal chain of events is:<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>perl Makefile.PL<br>make<br>make check<br>make install<br></font><br>I guess it would be the same under Windows if you had a C compiler and make installed.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, most Windows systems do not.<br><br>So, ActiveState put together a perl script to automate searching and installation of new modules.<br><br>Kick off a 'net connection.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then get a DOS prompt and run:<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>perl ppm.pl<br></font><br>This will kick off an interactive shell.&nbsp;&nbsp;Type &quot;help&quot; or &quot;help <i>command</i>&quot; to get some useful info.<br><br>The most useful commands are:<br><br>install [packages]<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Installs the named packages.<br><br>search<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Search for info about packages.<br><br>set<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Sets or displays current options.<br><br>verify<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Verifies that your current installation is up to date.<br><br>There's also a module that ships with perl that does a similar job.&nbsp;&nbsp;Start perl as:<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>perl -MCPAN -eshell<br></font><br>Again, type &quot;help&quot; for some help.&nbsp;&nbsp;Or, from the command line, <FONT FACE=monospace>perldoc ::CPAN</font><br><br>Hope this helps. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>--<br>
0 1 - Just my two bits

the ppm.pl seems to work. But when i try to install the package, it says that it couldnt locate a ppd file for the package. I downloaded the package right from cpan.

It sounds like the module you want hasn't been compiled for Windows and uploaded to CPAN.&nbsp;&nbsp;:(<br><br>Maybe some kind soul with ActivePerl and a C compiler for Windows could help you out here?&nbsp;&nbsp;Sorry, but all the perl I do is Unix only, and I don't have a C compiler on my PC. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>--<br>
0 1 - Just my two bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back