Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CP VPIM - Network Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHTROUT

IS-IT--Management
Nov 25, 2005
US
We will be installing CP 4.x systems in 6 USA offices (then adding one London and one Hamburg site later). Our NetSvcs team will be asking about bandwidth requirements.

I am interested in what others have learned as far as bandwidth usage, Assume I can predict the quantity and length of messages between the sites.

Whatever advice you have...

~

Bandwidth usage really isn't a factor for VPIM messages. All VPIM does is essentially use SMTP to "email" messages between the systems. From what I can see, a 40 second voicemail message is about 97K. Chances are your network won't know its there.

Plus, since they are sent as data packets, not voice, QOS isn't a concern.

Interesting. Do you really mean it uses the SMTP protocol, or are you equating it to that for the general population of lurkers.

I concur that the bandwidth is going to be a non-issue, but you can imagie...I need to have some just justification besides my just saying it.

~

From 4.0 Network Planning Guide

The VPIM Networking protocol requires an average of 180 kbytes of data per second of voice to transport a voice message over the IP network. The peak load on the IP network is equal to the “pump rate” of the SMTP delivery process. The pump rate is independent of the aggregate number of SMTP connections on allocated IP ports (specified
as five inbound and five outbound). Rather, the pump rate is dependent more on of contention of the SMTP service with other services for CPU and disk resources.
When VPIM is compared to four active Enterprise Networking channels, the equivalent data rate imposed on the IP Network by VPIM is 21 kbytes per second (less than 1 percent of 10BaseT bandwidth).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back