Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CP-PIV will cannot boot from RMD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogBiscuits

Technical User
May 25, 2007
US
I am having trouble with 81C CP-PIV running 4.5 (CS1000 MG). I am upgrading to 5.5 but it doesn't detect the install media. I used the mkbootrmd.bat to format the RMD but no luck.

I have tried the Nortel provided 512MB 5.5 install CF, a SanDisk 512MB CF, & a SanDisk 1GB CF.

I noticed a similar thread without a solution thread798-1292505

Thanks in advance,

jnjarboe76

So, when you are plugged into COM1 on the faceplate of the CPU you are working on, do you get anything when you reset it with the RMD in?

FYI...Here is what I did to fix the issue:

Since it would not boot from Any RMD and it is basically a PC until VxWorks boots up I decided to look at the BIOS. You can briefly see a prompt, press F1 to enter BIOS, when you reset the CP-PIV. I hit F1 several times but I couldn't get into the BIOS. So I connected a USB keyboard to the USB port on the front of the CP-PIV and hit F1 on the USB keyboard. That worked! I checked the Boot order in the BIOS, it was set to the internal disk first. I changed the boot order to look at the external disk first and now it works fine. Now it boots up exactly like the instructions indicate. I loaded 5.5 on it Thursday and it is working fine.

P.S. We opened a ticket with Nortel. I told Nortel what I did and they agree that this is the correct solution. The BIOS was incorrectly set from the factory.

Sincerely,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back