Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting Unique Records For All Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ourageous

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2014
AU
Hello All,

I am trying to find the best way to sum the count of all records that appear across multiple groups.

To explain what I am trying to achieve we may have two groups in a report that both contain the same record, i.e.

Order 1
Part A
Part B
Part C

Order 2
Part A
Part B
Part D

I am attempting to generate a total at the report footer, that will contain a summary to the effect of:

Part A: 2
Part B: 2
Part C: 1
Part D: 1

When looking at our order history, I am attempting to see how many times Part A occurs with Part B on the same order. Because of this I have grouped the information by the order number record and used a selection criteria, this prevents me simply grouping around the part number field and using a count.

I could use a formula and manually enter a sum if part = A, however I'm trying to evaluate against approximately 10,000 records (different part numbers), so that would be prohibitive.

Manually I have exported the report without a total to Excel, and used Excel's Data Validation to show only unique records, and then use a COUNTIF statement to generate this information, however it is a manual process and would like to achieve a result inside Crystal Reports.

Is this possible, or am I barking up the wrong tree? I don't mind being advised to research certain topics if someone could point me in the right direction.

One way to do this is to put a subreport in your Report Footer that is grouped by part number and uses running tatals to count them. (It would look very much like your Group2 footer.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back