Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting the Check Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

greysquirl

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
I have approximately 15-20 check boxes. They are used to check off whether
an employee has finished particular training events. I would like to have
the query list each employee who has check boxes not checked and then have
it tell me also what training event it is that has not yet been completed.

i.e.

Name Department Training Not Completed
John Smith MIS A+, MCSE, MCP
Jane Doe Accounting CPA, Adding Machines 101

This situation will get ugly without a new approach to the table design. I have a similar situation where several people are required to take training. However, the training requirements will differ from one person to another. By using one table to keep track of the person, another to keep track of the type of training and another to keep track of the training required for each person you will be able to manage this in a very straight forward and easy way. Let me know if you need additional help understanding this concept, I could send you an example.

John A. Gilman
gms@uslink.net

The Subject of this thread caught my eye, but isn;t exactly what I am looking for. Do you guys by chance know how I could simply display a Total of the checkboxes in a Form?

For example, if their are 50 records in the form, and only 30 of them are checked off, how could I display the numnber 30 in a separate Text box??

Basically what I am after is to get a total of the records that are check off. So this example would return, 30, which I should be able to convert to a % easily enough.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Aycan - mx-3@home.com - MX-3.com

in the query that the form is based on, create a new column and type:

txtCountCheckBoxes:iif([chkValue],1,0)

then in your form, create an unbound text box and for its control source, type:
=sum(txtCountCheckBoxes)

what this is doing is saying, if the value of chkValue is true (or checked) then give the txtCountCheckBoxes a value of 1.
then, in the form, add up all the ones and that gives you the total.

ruth.jonkman@wcom.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back