Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting Records 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcollinsmoose

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2002
US
I am very new to CR. I have been working with DB for several years and thought I would give this a try. I can create simple reports and such with CR - This is not a problem.

My problem is that I am trying to set up a report based on an evaluation system. I have about a hundred people who are evaluating other individuals and giving them a score on several questions. I need to be able to group the report such that each person shows up with their results under them. For example, I need to show a count of the number of 5's, 4's, 3's, 2's and 1's people receive. I did this in Access but for only one person. I really do not want to have to set up 100 different reports to get this job done.

Basically the report will look like:

Person 1
Received ? 5's
Received ? 4's
Received ? 3's
Received ? 2's
Received ? 1's

Person 2
Received ? 5's
Received ? 4's
Received ? 3's
Received ? 2's
Received ? 1's

etc.

How can this be done. In Access I used the dcount feature. I am not sure what to use in CR.

Any and all help is most certainly appreciated.

I may misunderstand your data as you describe it rather than providing an example of it. The required output was helpful.

Try:

Group by the Person, and the Person name will automatically be placed in the Header.

Create 5 running totals which reset at the Person Group:

Received 5's
Received 4's
Received 3's
Received 2's
Received 1's

In the evaluate->use a formula place something like:

{MyTable.MyScores} = X

With X being the number that each running total is maintaining.

Place these running totals below each other in the Person Group footer.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

That works great for one question. I have 15 questions. This shows me how to evaluate a running total --> which is definiately helpful.

On a broader scale - Maybe I should give you what I want the complete report to look like:

Person 1
Question 1: How does the person view change . . . ?
Received ? 5's
Received ? 4's
Received ? 3's
Received ? 2's
Received ? 1's

Some comments received about question 1

Question 2: This is another question . . . ?
Received ? 5's
Received ? 4's
Received ? 3's
Received ? 2's
Received ? 1's

Some comments received about question 2

Question 3 ...

Person 2:

Question 1: How does the person view change . . . ?
Received ? 5's
Received ? 4's
Received ? 3's
Received ? 2's
Received ? 1's

Some comments received about question 1

Question 2: This is another question . . . ?
Received ? 5's
Received ? 4's
Received ? 3's
Received ? 2's
Received ? 1's

Some comments received about question 2

Question 3 ...

Person 3 ...

Is this beyond the scope of CR?

Just set up the running totals for the different questions. Group #1 is by person and add another group level for question number. The running totals should evaluate correctly because you will be a the grouping level of the person first - make sense?

MoJoP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back