Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting occurences of data

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixcat56

Technical User
Jul 19, 2007
US
I'm trying to create a function that will count the number of unique data points in a list

List

I need to develop a calculation that will give me the answer of 4 in the above list. I've tried @rank(@max(range1),range1,0), but it does not handle duplicate occurances of the same number.

Thank you for any help

I think this might work, but I haven't exhaustively tested it:

@RANK(@MIN(A2..A6),A2..A6)-@RANK(@MAX(A2..A6),A2..A6)

where your number occupy the range A2..A6.

Sorry!

The suggestion above does NOT work.
If get another (hopefully better) idea, I'll revert.

This is one type of task that Excel can do much better (using an array formula).

Method 1

If I needed to do this task, I would be a /Data Query Unique. In R5, after doing this, the formula @info("dbrecordcount") would hold the value of the number of items extracted, which would be the value you need. Unfortunately, this function was removed from R9 releases.

Method 2

Create an array of formulas:

List
3 @IF(@ISERR(@MATCH(A2,A1..A$2,0)),1,0)
5 copy this formula down

the total will be the sum of column B + 1

Method 3

Create a database self-join. The label "List" appears in cell A1 above the first data item. You need a blank column to the right of your list. Place a label, i.e., "Dummy" there. Two ranges get created, a single column range named DATA beginning from cell A1 and and 2 column range named DATA2 which includes cell B1.

The self-join formula:

@DCOUNT(DATA,DATA2,"data.list",DATA.LIST=DATA2.LIST)-@DCOUNT(DATA,0)/2

give the number of unique items.

Method 4

This would be a looping macro.
I won't compose this unless you want that kind of solution.

Thanks, I'm going to give method 2 a shot. I've done something similar with lotus macro programming. I appreciate your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back