Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting number of records

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonMcIntire

Technical User
Oct 12, 2002
US
All:

Hope this is right forum.

1. I have two tables. One contains 2000+ member records and one contains 60+ chapter records. I can marry the tables in a query.
2. Each member record contains a member number and a membership expiration date (expire_dt) in the form of yyyymmdd and the chapter record contains a member number and a chapter number. I can filter current members using Left(expire_dt,4)
3. Some of the members belong to one or more chapters.

-----------------------------

I wish to determine the number of members in each chapter automatically without running a query 60 times.

I have considered the DCount() function in a query but I'm not sure how to implement it.

I have also considered the DCount() function in a report but I get confused about how to implement it.

Can anyone help me understand how to solve my problem?

Thanks,

Ron

The chapter record contains a member number and a chapter number"
"60+ chapter records"
"2000+ member records"

That does not make sense to me that would mean that at most one chapter has 60 members, or 2 chapters have a total membership has a total of 60 members etc. 2000 members, but only 60 of them in a chapter. Is that right?

Could you please post a simplified field list of these 2 tables.

In any cause I think you will wind up using a group clause in your SQL statement.

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back