Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting Multiple Columns that meet a specified condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

masb13

Technical User
Mar 7, 2013
AE
I have a table with a large number of columns. Among the columns are four columns that hold the expiry dates for different types of insurance. I need to write a query that counts the number of records, where the date difference on any of the four columns, between the date now and the expiry date is within the next 30 days. The data will eventually be used in a dashboard to flag the number of insurance policies expiring in the next 30 days, so the results will need to be grouped by company.

The following select statement will return all records where the expiry date is within the 30 days, but I am unable to turn this statement into a SELECT COUNT query without getting an error "You tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression Expr2 as part of an aggregate function". Can anyone tell me what is wrong, and perhaps show me how to get this working.

SELECT (PI_EXPIRY_DATE) AS Expr1, (WC_expiry_date) AS Expr2, (EL_expiry_date) AS Expr3, (CAR_expiry_date) AS Expr4
FROM Company
WHERE (((Company.PI_EXPIRY_DATE)<Now()+30)) OR (((Company.WC_expiry_date)<Now()+30)) OR (((Company.EL_expiry_date)<Now()+30)) OR (((Company.CAR_expiry_date)<Now()+30));

I am a relative newbie at SQL, so would appreciate it if you assume no prior knowledge.

Thanks

Something like this ?
SELECT CompanyName, Count(*) AS NumOfExpiry
FROM Company
WHERE PI_EXPIRY_DATE<Now()+30 OR WC_expiry_date<Now()+30 OR EL_expiry_date<Now()+30 OR CAR_expiry_date<Now()+30
GROUP BY CompanyName

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks PHV.

This is what the SQL statement looks like in my DB:

SELECT Company_name, Count(*) AS NumOfExpiry
FROM Company
WHERE PI_EXPIRY_DATE<Now()+60 OR WC_expiry_date<Now()+60 OR EL_expiry_date<Now()+60 OR CAR_expiry_date<Now()+60
GROUP BY Company_name

It runs and returns the company name, but instead of returning the total number of columns that meet the criteria (should be 3), it returns a value of 1. Any ideas?

Apologies, there was an error in my original description of the problem. It should have said:

... Among the columns are four columns that hold the expiry dates for different types of insurance. I need to write a query that counts the number of these columns, within each record, where the date difference on any of the four columns, between the date now and the expiry date is within the next 30 days...

SELECT Company_name, ABS((PI_EXPIRY_DATE<Now()+30)+(WC_expiry_date<Now()+30)+(EL_expiry_date<Now()+30)+(CAR_expiry_date<Now()+30)) AS NumOfExpiry
FROM Company

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Perfect. Thanks a lot PHV.

I also added in the following so that the query doesn't return a record where none of the conditions are met.

WHERE (PI_EXPIRY_DATE<>0) OR (WC_expiry_date<>0) OR (EL_expiry_date<>0) OR (CAR_expiry_date<>0);

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back