Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting Dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdemmi

MIS
Jun 6, 2001
US
Does anyone have any creative ideas for the following issue? I'm stuck with 2 ideas, neither of which seem palatable to me.

CRXI - Oracle 10.x

I have a report request where a user wants to see a number of "counts" by month, by quarter and by year. This is not the issue as I have already created a parameter for month/quarter/year which is passed to a formula for the report grouping.

This concept works beautifully if I am just counting records by "record date"

The dilemma comes in when they want additional record counts, like records opened, closed, and past due in the same period. Since I am grouping by record date those other counts become dependent on the record date as well. Which is, obviously, incorrect.

So, more specifically, they have the need the following counts...

Initiated -- records created in the month, quarter or year specified
Opened -- records in an opened state (not closed) in the month, quarter or year specified
Closed -- records closed in the month, quarter or year specified
Overdue -- records closed after their due date for the month, quarter or year specified

How can I count these values without grouping on record date, date created, date closed, or due date?

I thought about building a "calendar" table and adding it to the report, but that would still require a join to the table holding the records which need to be counted. It seems messy.

I also thought about creating a subreport for each count and then passing the values back to the main report. But...I'd still need to group by an arbitrary date....

I am sure I have done a poor job of explaining this issue. So, please, let me know what else I can tell you that will help you help me.

Thanks in advance...

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

Have you looked at Crosstabs? They let you show the same data with a different sort of grouping.

Failing that, you could do it with running totals using relevant tests to determine what needs to be counted. Maybe a 'Mock Crosstab' - use SEARCH if you need details.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 11.5 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

This is very difficult. The only solution I found was to use a command and group data in the database.

It was done by using a Cross Join query to a dummy table holding the dates.

I would post your query in the MS SQL developer forum if you do not know how to write Cross join queries.

Ian

Please identify the date fields you are working with. Also provide your selection formula.

My guess is that you can add running totals to provide the counts.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back