Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting cell content separated by "/"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeyboy126

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I have cell content that looks something like "PD/AS/FD/JD". These are actually initials of people working on a project. I need a formula that will count the number of people (or initials) for the cell content, so in the example given it would be four.

All initials are seperated using the "/" character.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Just in case anyones interested, I managed to resolve this by using the following formula (assuming the data is in column D)

=IF(LEN(TRIM(D2))=0,0,LEN(TRIM(D2))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(D2,"/",""))+1)

Many thanks

hi,

It the format is ALWAYS and WITHOUT FAIL, "ii/ii/ii/ii", then the logic is...
[tt]
=INT((LEN(A1)+1)/3)
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

=FIND("/",A1)+1

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

FIND returns the first location of the sought string withing the searched string. bluedragon, your result is coincidentally correct for this example. If the example was "H/GG/J/II" or "H/G" the result would be 2 both times.
Skip's shortcut, coincidentally, would fail those examples as well, but it may not matter, as the OP said they were initials.

Most definitely, the most accurate answer is the one that Monkeyboy came up with, with the one exception of discarding the trims from the final calculation
Code:
=IF(LEN(TRIM(A1))=0,0,LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","")))
is sufficient

Gruuu, You are correct, breezed through it to quickly.

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back