Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting bandwidth used in Squid Server for Billing System

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahmatz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
ID
Dear Tek-tips member,

I have one squid server to handle several client from two different companies. The companies need to know how much bandwitdh are used from their clients. So they can share the payment for internet connection. I am using transparent proxy, and each of client must fill username and password. And dhcp service is installed in the proxy server. Can i get information for my billing system from the configuration above?

Thanks
Rachmat Z

You could use a NIC per client company and count the bytes on each NIC every month.

If you are using the same DHCP pool on a single NIC you a making it very hard on yourself.

How does each company arrive at your 'net connection? Through distinct IP/connections/wires? In what ways can you differentiate between the companies? Such details will help us advise - where possible - the options available to you.

"Surfinbox Shares" - A fundraising program that builds revenue from dialup Internet users.

Hi thedaver,

I already used different NIC for each of companies. Each company has its own dhcp server. And every company connect through UTP Cable. I hope my information can help you to fix my problem.

Thanks,
Rahmatz

Use "ifconfig eth2" or for whatever ethn interface you manage for each customer.

It displays the data sent and received.

You could make an SMTP resource out of your NICs and capture it with MRTG to graph it really nicely too.

"Surfinbox Shares" - A fundraising program that builds revenue from dialup Internet users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back