Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Count SAS sessions on server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennieboy

Programmer
Jul 13, 2006
GB
Hi all.

I need to keep track of the number of sessions currently running on our SAS server (NT box with SAS8.2)

Is there a way to do this? I need to get this info into a VB.Net screen.

I know this will require a bit of magic. Users complain their SAS sessions just disappear without warning. So I need to establish if there is a link between the number of sessions running and these sessions disappearing.

I appreciate your wisdom and advice in advance!

Len

Lennieboy -
Life is Good and God is Good
B-)

Lennie, I've pondered this questions before also and here's the solution I came up with...

Well actually there are 2!

1) Pay SAS and get the SAS Management Console which will allow you to manage SAS servers also.

2) Using VB I mapped to the temp drive on the SAS server (i.e. the drive that holds your "work" library). I then counted all the folders in there that started with "_" as SAS server sessions are normally something like "_TD22140". Since we clear this folder every night, this gave us a fairly accurate representation of the amount of sessions.

Hope this helps, be interesting to see the other members views on this.

Cheers

nick

Ahhh Nick!!!

You are the MAN!!!
LOL

I should have thought of this too!! I know we definitely will not pay SAS for the Console, but I can look at the Temp Drive and count those folders.

Thank you clever man!!

Len

B-)

Lennieboy -
B-)

Aye no problem, I'm convinced there must be something hidden withing a view in the SASHelp library on the server that will contain lots of interesting data about sessions but I've yet to find it... As soon as I do I will write an FAQ or something... SAS wont tell me because obviously they want us to but their Console.

Cheers

Nick

The number of sas.exe processes running on the server will tell you how many "instances" of SAS (# of jobs) are running.

Yes, but how do you count them in VB.Net?

I need to be able to click a button on a screen and get a number appear in a Label....

I cannot physically go and count them every 10mins....

Thanks

Lennieboy -
B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back