Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

count problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolfan1873

Technical User
Aug 10, 2004
US
here is the SQL from a query i have, this works fine until i have no records to count in one of the programs (e2cipt or modipt or psipt), it just eliminates that program. is there a way i can keep the program and make it come in with a 0(zero).

SELECT Count(Input_tbl.Program) AS CountOfProgram, Input_tbl.Program
FROM Input_tbl
WHERE (((Input_tbl.TypeDocument)="RTE" Or (Input_tbl.TypeDocument)="RCI") AND ((Input_tbl.DateComplete) Is Null))
GROUP BY Input_tbl.Program
HAVING (((Input_tbl.Program)="E2CIPT" Or (Input_tbl.Program)="MODIPT" Or (Input_tbl.Program)="PSIPT"))
ORDER BY Input_tbl.Program.

put the HAVING criteria in the WHERE clause:

SELECT Count(Input_tbl.Program) AS CountOfProgram, Input_tbl.Program
FROM Input_tbl
WHERE Input_tbl.TypeDocument IN ("RTE", "RCI")
AND Input_tbl.DateComplete Is Null
AND Input_tbl.Program IN ("E2CIPT", "MODIPT", "PSIPT")

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

i tried it and i can't get it to work, it still drops one program if it has no records, i need it to appear in the results with a 0 so all 3 programs always appear in the results.

maybe i didn't type something correct, i had it working but it still dropped the program.

thanks

you would have to left join into a list of the projects in order to get a count of records that don't exist.

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Maybe something like this:

SELECT Count(A.Program) AS CountOfProgram, A.Program
FROM Input_tbl A
LEFT JOIN (SELECT Program FROM Input_tbl WHERE Input_tbl.Program As Program IN ("E2CIPT", "MODIPT", "PSIPT")) B ON B.Program = A.Program

WHERE Input_tbl.TypeDocument IN ("RTE", "RCI")
AND Input_tbl.DateComplete Is Null

Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back